• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kalkwasser

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
I started doing kalkwasser dosing VIA a dosing pump. Fairly new to kalk but I am familiar with how the chemistry works just not in practice.
I’m just looking for general tips and what to really look out for when dosing it.

I am testing alk and CA everyday to monitor that and keeping a close eye on pH. Already peaked at 8.4 but am skeptical about it actually being 8.4 given the issues hydros app has been having as of late;

my milka stylo seems a little upset and so goes my torch. But still giving me polyp extension. Is this normally for the corals to react negatively for a little bit. If my memory serves me right, someone had mentioned corals may seem a little bit upset for a few days but after that will do much better.
Any advice or tips is appreciated!

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Total volume is 65 but calculated 50
After displacement. I usually always dose to 50 gallons of water to play it safe.
This is just my 2cents.
I am using kalk I love kalk but I have a large system.
If something happens and the doser dumps a bunch of kalk in my system nothing is going to happen. On tanks 50 gallon or smaller I would say stay away from kalk.
I would dose 2 part or something like “all for reef”
It will be a lot safer to use and manage dosing.

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
This is just my 2cents.
I am using kalk I love kalk but I have a large system.
If something happens and the doser dumps a bunch of kalk in my system nothing is going to happen. On tanks 50 gallon or smaller I would say stay away from kalk.
I would dose 2 part or something like “all for reef”
It will be a lot safer to use and manage dosing.
I get that. Just seems the benefits from kalk are highly desirable for where I want tank to be down the road.
All for reef is something I would look into as well since many reefers have Had positive experiences with it.

Salted

NJRC Member
An equipment use bit of knowledge when dosing kalk - if you’re dosing into your sumps return and using an ato keep an eye on the ato fill sensor. The kalk will crust over the sensor causing it to not sense. I had to remove and scrape mine clean weekly. I’ve since stopped using kalk and am using two part. No more ato issues.

just dose about 75% of your evaporation and watch your alk, calc and ph, you might have to lower the amount of kalk dose, your ph at 8.4 is not extreme but i will keep an eye on it just in case goes higher. when dosing try to get the outlet at your overflow if possible

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
Never thought of that, thanks. Good call
An equipment use bit of knowledge when dosing kalk - if you’re dosing into your sumps return and using an ato keep an eye on the ato fill sensor. The kalk will crust over the sensor causing it to not sense. I had to remove and scrape mine clean weekly. I’ve since stopped using kalk and am using two part. No more ato issues.

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
just dose about 75% of your evaporation and watch your alk, calc and ph, you might have to lower the amount of kalk dose, your ph at 8.4 is not extreme but i will keep an eye on it just in case goes higher. when dosing try to get the outlet at your overflow if possible
Will do

Yeah..i had the same issue. I had to move my Kalk ingress to my fuge because it kept putting a coating over my digital eye in my return section. Now I am worried that there is not enough agitation to properly mix the kalk..but tank is doing fine so fingers crossed