• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Keep Sponges out of your Reef Tank

I like sponges! The appeal of a reef tank to me is the diversity you can keep and how this changes over time. After fish, sponges are now my favorite part of my reef tank, just above my shrimp, anemones and starfish. Yes, they can out-compete some corals. And I have had them clog my protein skimmer a few times from broken pieces. But they can often be eliminated by exposing rocks to air or pulling pieces off. I also like anemones, fish, algae, soft corals, invertebrates, worms, and micro organisms. Any of these can cause problems as well. Fish food and wastes pollute a tank (some people say not to put fish in a reef tank). Some fish eat some corals. Anemones can move and sting corals or fish. Soft corals can take over large areas. LPS often have stinging tenticles. Some worms can grow large or clog tubes and pipes. Emerald clams and snails can knock over corals. Algae can choke out corals or leave calcium deposits that clog equipment or cover glass. Cyanobacteria can give off poisons as well and look ugly. Hard corals take out calcium. While it is nice to know sponges can cause problems, so can other reef inhabitants. You adjust you husbandry accordingly. Activated carbon helps keep the toxins in check. Just don't believe that because someone publishes a negative opinion, that you shouldn't keep the reef inhabitants you want. I have seen some great looking aquariums with inhabitants others consider as pests.