• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Keeping damsel

I was just thinking that in the old days, being for me the 90s and then for a bit of the new century, the majority of folks cycled their tanks with damsels and as a result kept damsels in their tanks.

We have at least two damsels in each of our tanks, and in fact have a pair of yellow tails that we cycled with about eleven years ago. They may be some of the oldest damsels around.

This past summer we were closing down a tank and placed some fish with a younger reefer, and they balked at taking the damsels, saying they were "evil" - which surprised my wife and I. I'm just curious if any of the newer reefers keep damsels in their tanks.

falconut

NJRC Member
The only damsel I kept with my other fish was an Azure damsel. He was very mild temper, as I've heard the yellow tails are too. I cycled my 1st tank, probably 10 years ago, with 4 damsels. I had (1) Domino, (1) striped and (2) blue devils. The domino and striped had to go as soon as the cycle was over, they were terrorizing the blue devils. Then after I removed them and started to add other fish, the blue devils started to terrorize the other fish. So, out they came. There are only a few I'd trust with others.

I've found that the straight yellow, the straight blue and the blue yellow tails have mostly peaceful personalities in our experience. We haven't kept any of the black and white varieties.

I got a yellow by mistake from a store who thought they were giving me all chromis. I had it in QT with 5 chromis & he was a bully at first, but was knocked in line by the juvi mimic tang that was in QT with them. they're all in my DT now & the yellow seems to be the odd man out, always trying to hang with the Chromis group but they want no part of it. I guess they're holding a grudge :)

I have a 90 gallon FOWLER and today have numerous Damsels. Cycled initially with 6 Chromis (all killed eachother) replaced with another 6 and eventually went down to 1 and he since died. After cycling was completed and I started to add fish, I included 1 Yellow Belly, 1 Yellow Tail, 2 Allen's and 2 Retro's all continue to thrive and get along with each other and other fish.

I think I'm gonna go get a couple at the LFS tonight, just to be #badass. The hidden reef had some golds the last time i was there.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I had a Neon Velvet Damn-sel....that is the correct spelling for this fish. A true devil fish. Caused the death of two of my fish, leaving my male blue throat without it's mate. No more damsels for me unless I set up an aggressive tank in the future.....and I don't see that happening.

I will say, it was a pretty fish.

Hey LOL I think one of the velvet's a.k.a.'s is the devil fish or something like that. Right on point. Never kept any over here.

I had a Neon Velvet Damn-sel....that is the correct spelling for this fish. A true devil fish. Caused the death of two of my fish, leaving my male blue throat without it's mate. No more damsels for me unless I set up an aggressive tank in the future.....and I don't see that happening.

I will say, it was a pretty fish.

Velvet is probably the meanest fish I've ever owned. It screwed with fish ten times it's size. Killed a bi color angel and then screwed with the wrong fish. My kole tang ripped its guts open.

That said my yellow tails are very territorial but not mean. Orange tail, domino, 4 stripe.... Filled with rage.

I have an extra large domino in my tank 3"+. Ive had him for a better part of 7 years. Yellow tangs keep him in check. but every now and then it forgets who the boss is and gets knocked back down. wifes favorite of course so i cant get rid of him. Untill she goes away for 6 weeks in Jan. SHHHHH :)

The velvets and devils are so territorial. I remember snorkeling in Puerto Rico and getting attacked so many times if i got to close to their rock. Specially the Jewel damsel. Awesome looking but a mean son of a gun.