• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

KLIR roller

Anyone running one of these on their system ? Thinking of adding one to my new sump I am planning as opposed to filter socks. Wondering if anyone had any insight they could share .

Thanks

Anyone running one of these on their system ? Thinking of adding one to my new sump I am planning as opposed to filter socks. Wondering if anyone had any insight they could share .

Thanks
Don’t have a KLIR but I do use four inch cups and will never ever use a sock again. I think the rollers are awesome. But cups and floss are a great second choice. Absolutely the best thing I did. Super cheap. Takes me all of ten seconds. To change the floss. Nothing to clean and dry and definitely keep it cleaner than I did socks because there is no hassle. And additionally, I put bags of GFO and Carbon as needed in bottom of cup and floss on top. I really like it and won’t ever use a sock again.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I’m using it. I’m a big fan. I’m running the 7inch one, and may add a second soon. As long as you do some very basic maintenance when you change the roll, and take a toothbrush to the optical sensor every week or two it’s great.

there Is a short coming which I’m going to address eventually. the controller is a weak point. I’ve had two fail in 8 months. The company has been very responsive and has replaced them immediately with no issues. They also upgraded the motor early on, and sent me an upgraded replacement when I had my first controller issue. The original was still working fine.

I’m going to try and run this via apex. I’m going to either use a $5 adapter from amazon to plug it into the apex, or put a Neptune optical sensor on it. i need to figure out what type of power adapter I need to wire it to one of the apex power bars.

this is on my list of to dos. Hopefully I’ll have it done soon. I’m past warranty and I assume they’re going to stop sending replacements eventually...

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Don’t have a KLIR but I do use four inch cups and will never ever use a sock again. I think the rollers are awesome. But cups and floss are a great second choice. Absolutely the best thing I did. Super cheap. Takes me all of ten seconds. To change the floss. Nothing to clean and dry and definitely keep it cleaner than I did socks because there is no hassle. And additionally, I put bags of GFO and Carbon as needed in bottom of cup and floss on top. I really like it and won’t ever use a sock again.

i agree socks suck, really really suck. I went from 3x 4in socks to 2x 7in socks to a 7x32 50 micron pool filter sock (just a giant version of a regular sock), and I still had to clean them every day or two.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member

Agree. I have a 7 inch cup and use floss. Quick and easy.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member

Do you have a link to the batting or fiber fill you are using? The ones I find on Amazon have mildew resistant in it.

Do you have a link to the batting or fiber fill you are using? The ones I find on Amazon have mildew resistant in it.
My daughter gets it for me she works at a hobby store. Cost almost nothing. When she gets home from work I’ll ask her to get a box for you. We know what to get but it’s a BIG BOX. Probably enough for two years lol

And hobby places like Michelle’s. You just have to make sure it’s nothing but Polly fill no chemicals. No nothing

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Agree. I have a 7 inch cup and use floss. Quick and easy.
how much flow goes through the cup? The sock is porous on all sides is the cup only drilled on the bottom? Or does it have holes everywhere? Do you have a picture of your setup? I hate socks also.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
how much flow goes through the cup? The sock is porous on all sides is the cup only drilled on the bottom? Or does it have holes everywhere? Do you have a picture of your setup? I hate socks also.

I'd like to know too what everyone is using. These are the only ones I could find. Here are different styles:

This one was reviewed as the diameter being too small...would fall through 4" opening. It only has slits on the bottom for water to pass through.
1585788741124.png

This one has slits on the side
1585788893389.png

This one has slits on the side and holes on the bottom
Review from someone said that it's too small for his Synergy sump. He also added that there is an adapter that can be purchased but that was a waste of money.
1585789027253.png 1585789060935.png

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Mine is the last pic without the adapter. Personally I feel the flow is much better than a sock. When the sock gets clogged the water level in it would rise.
With the cup I don't have that problem at all.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I use the red sea one in my waterbox aquarium, it works great. I normally put in a bath mesh scrubber but use filter floss occasionally. Use only a thin layer otherwise it blocks really quick.

I can measure the size if you're not sure if it will fit.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I use the red sea one in my waterbox aquarium, it works great. I normally put in a bath mesh scrubber but use filter floss occasionally. Use only a thin layer otherwise it blocks really quick.

I can measure the size if you're not sure if it will fit.
That’s what I would figure. Less surface area then a 4x10 sock.
but if it works I would switch just for the easier use.

horseplay

NJRC Member
That’s what I would figure. Less surface area then a 4x10 sock.
but if it works I would switch just for the easier use.

The cup itself is not blocking the water at all neither does the bath scrubber. I have not touched it forever. I don't normally use floss just let the mulm setting in the sump.