• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

koralia nano caught fire in the water... I guess.. seeking advice

Merry Christmas everyone and sorry for posting in the emergency forum!

So, this morning the room smelled really fowl of burning electronics and at first I thought it was the new hard drive I left on burning in over the night. After a little bit of investigation I found out that the koralia nano was the culprit and the tank smelled like burning electronics. I could also see some type of gas/heat exchange coming from the top of the pump.

So, my first thought was adding carbon to the tank, but either I used to much or 5 minutes of rinsing was not enough. It made the tank somewhat greyish. I removed that and instantly did a 1/3 water change. I saw that the xenia's were really thin and some of the snails seems dead, but the fish look OK so far.

Do you feel that a 1/3 water change should be enough or should I throw carbon in the tank? I do not have a reactor so the carbon would just be siting in the tank.

Should I make new water with TAP and churn it for just a few minutes?

Is there any way of being proactive with the Koralia's to minimize this or see this before it happens? Could my cleaning of the pump in vinegar cause this?

Thanks guys!

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I just saw this unfortunately I'm on my way out the door. I have salt water already made up or RO/DI water I can give you. I'm located in Piscataway. I will be back around 7:00. The carbon just sitting in the tank without flow is going to do little. Another large water change is your best bet.

Bob

koralias are "cheap" pumps. i've had many fail on me and many shock me. seio prop pumps are constructed alot better, and coralvu came out with some new pumps as well. i'm not sure how good the "high seas" powerheads are but we already know hydor's build quality. it can't be much worse!

the carbon in the water isn't going to hurt anything. just make up water and change some out as fast as you can without compromising anything else. in other words, don't bother with the tap water.

Agree water changes and if you have a area of higher flow a bag of carbon should help. You really cant use too much carbon, the Grey was just probably dust, just give it a rinse. Good Luck.
Greg

Thank you for your advice guys. Also, thank you again for those that offered RO/DI water. I held off on responding on christmas since I was unsure if people received emails on each response.

I did do a 33% WC, but it looks like I still lost a lot. I also ran a huge 12x6" bag full of carbon under the filter HOB filter. It's not the best solution, but I figured it was better than nothing. I was concerned originally about such a large bag, but it seems like it did not matter.

I see that many of you are keeping a lot of water around and my question is where do you keep it? I normally keep about 20-30G of pre-made salt water in the garage with a heater and powerhead in it. But, it seems like I may want to consider holding more. I'm guessing that a 5g jug of water would freeze in my garage. My wife already wants to kick me out for the fish "junk" I have littered around our house.. ha

Possible survivors:

Some Zoas, Hairy Mushrooms (probably), a yellow damsel (I think she is..), Some hermits and maybe some snails

Verified dead:

Kenya tree, Antasia (softie spelling?), pom-pom xenia, blue xenia, several types of snails

Possibly dying:

Mantis Shrimp (he was in the middle of a shed so he's hiding), CUC (it shed a few layers of skin and has not moved since..), a few other snails.

At least it was not my primary DT. This tank is really only my mantis tank that holds a few frags from the DT. But, my DT does have 2 Koralia K2's so I guess I should consider changing them out.

i think you are the only person that has ever killed a kenya tree to date! sorry to hear about your critters dying!

i think you are the only person that has ever killed a kenya tree to date!
Again I agree!
If you can make it down to my place, Manasquan 08736, Ill set you up with softy's N/C to help get you started again.
Greg I got a few extra.
420_21_12_09_6_58_49_1.jpg