• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

KP Aquatics Live Rock Purchase

Rueric

NJRC Member
Been struggling to keep SPS.. I suspect it may be due to having started the tank with all dry rock..
I'm looking into getting some live rock from KP Aquatics.. anyone have experience with getting these rocks?
Anyone near 08002 interested in combining an order?

I do not but I started with all dry rock and it was a struggle but I had seeded it with an order from Indo pacific sea farms in Hawaii and once everything got itself established, my tank is a real dream. Something to consider if you end up shying away from the live rock

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
KP rocks are great. I got the 15 LB with added water. I am going to order again

Rueric

NJRC Member
I do not but I started with all dry rock and it was a struggle but I had seeded it with an order from Indo pacific sea farms in Hawaii and once everything got itself established, my tank is a real dream. Something to consider if you end up shying away from the live rock
How long did it take before things settled for you?
What symptoms did you experience
We’re you struggling with sps as well?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
A bit too far from you. I use to drive for 5 years to Rowan U which is near you. I am off exit 114 GSP. I'll won't be ordering until Jan. Want to get a new tank.

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
I use only dry rock on our system along with all the systems we maintain and have never seen it cause an issue with SPS. I suspect your issue is something else. Have you done an ICP test?

Rueric

NJRC Member
I use only dry rock on our system along with all the systems we maintain and have never seen it cause an issue with SPS. I suspect your issue is something else. Have you done an ICP test?
Yes, I run moonshiners, it might not be perfect levels but I am dosing and making corrections as needed, on a monthly basis.

How long did it take before things settled for you?
What symptoms did you experience
We’re you struggling with sps as well?
It took a while because I stay on the over filtered side of things, but just sad , low color, anything would kill them, any bump in the road. I've had dinos over and over, cyano, mostly the slimes. It wasn't just the seeding, I started dosing phyto, oyster feast, roe and aminos daily. I also since I have a smaller tank just water change a small amount every couple of days (sounds like a lot of work but honestly it's been the easiest way for me), minimal maintenance every couple days instead of large maintenance once a week or month.
That turned a corner where I could keep sps successfully and then the 2 other things that really made a difference was kalk at night and a quality light spectrum (I use a quanta bar as my main light and then 3 other fixtures to fill in and adjust color, lots of light and quality light

Rueric

NJRC Member
It took a while because I stay on the over filtered side of things, but just sad , low color, anything would kill them, any bump in the road. I've had dinos over and over, cyano, mostly the slimes. It wasn't just the seeding, I started dosing phyto, oyster feast, roe and aminos daily. I also since I have a smaller tank just water change a small amount every couple of days (sounds like a lot of work but honestly it's been the easiest way for me), minimal maintenance every couple days instead of large maintenance once a week or month.
That turned a corner where I could keep sps successfully and then the 2 other things that really made a difference was kalk at night and a quality light spectrum (I use a quanta bar as my main light and then 3 other fixtures to fill in and adjust color, lots of light and quality light
This sounds similar to the road I’m on now.. did you say how many months until you can keep sps with this regimen? I’m on my 3rd round or so and just notice they aren’t happy

It wasn't only the maturity, but I feel like maturity wasn't a factor at a year and a half. But that was my first time doing dry rock, it's a different skill set than live rock. Live rock, you put it in, turn your filtration to 11 and go, trying to filter out the excess eco system. Dry rock needs time in different stages, and in the beginning you're trying to encourage the eco system. I setup a smaller tank and it spent a long time with low light, inverts, soft corals and daily phyto plankton, and that rock definitely matured faster than my high energy high filtration tank. You really are better served with a dry rock tank, going through the softie, lps , sps, acro stages with the tank.