• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Last two clams have detatched from rock

My last two clams have detatched from the rocks they were on. I tested my water and my water is actually pretty good..ph8.2, spec. grav. 1.026,kh 9, nitrate 20-40 (its high but its half what it was), calcium 480. temp 75 (cold, but lights aren't on yet).

i took one clam out and dipped him in freshwater and i noticed all these black little bugs on him...i tried to take a picture but couldn't as they were to small and fast..i did see them though. they were jet black and thin. Could this be a pest? maybe the reason i lost my other clams? my corals look great and fish look great...clams look good too other then they were attatched yesterday morning and now i noticed they aren't at all. and the one clam is like 9 inches big..any ideas? Maybe its just leftovers from when the nitrates were super high, but they have lowered, but maybe too little too late..

pics...these are the derasas? At 9 inches (assuming a deresa) they no longer use their threads to stay on - but their sheer weight.

Look up amphipods - you sure that wasn't the "black bugs"?

Sorry - I know you're not big on names and such so forgive me if I'm asking basic questions.

this is the clam..im not sure of the name..

clam.jpg

like i said, underneath i used to see the white stringy things attached to the rock it sits on..now those strings look like they aren't attatched..they are still there, but do not look connected..the black bugs looked like fruit flys kinda...i dont know..im sorry im soo bad with names and stuff...

That looks like a derasa and the fact that it "fell" is nothing to be worried about. As they age the clams no longer use the threads to hold themselves in place and use their sheer weight as a deterence against predators. Your clam probably felt unsafe perched up there and probably rocked itself down.

Looks good!

thanks for your help guys, yeah, i mean the clams look fine to me, i just noticed the threads were no longer connected...so i will see how it goes....