• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

law enforcement issues?

I've always wondered if anyone who has reef setups in their main room with a large window facing a street or whatever has ever had to deal with law enforcement curiousity. With halides and many hundreds of watts of grow light seeping through windows has anyone here ever been questioned on what their intentions were with the lights? As a lot of you already know our light setups are the same thing that people use to light large indoor marijuana gardens. Im sure people who drive past my house see the glowing blue light and wonder what the hell is going on inside. lol

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
That was the big joke with me and my wife that one day officers were going to break down our door because they thought we had a grow operation. Our tanks are in the same room so you get the glow of the MH and T5 setup. We had people coming in and out trading frags and fish so you kept seeing people leave with bags and whatnot.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I see potential legal precedence being written here. If a cop sees the “glow,” is it probable cause or discrimination if he busts down your door?

Ed, the glowing tank is clearly visible from your front picture window while the plants are in the basement. “Yes officer, I’m into saltwater fish...no need to look through the rest of the house.”

One of my neighbors got busted for growing. I think the thing that got them is that they were in what looked like a crack house. I live two houses away and have my display tank upstairs and no one has ever asked about it, but most of my neighbors know I have fish. If the police asked, I would have them check out my tank, I'm always happy to show it off.

My apt. was under surveillance for 2 months because of the "glow" coming from the window. My neighbor told me one day when he saw a friend of his (the officer) sitting in the parking lot across the street and asked what he was doing in town.

never had any cops ask about the glow from our basement.. now the people at the bar across the street did.. haha

I have a green glow from my upstairs living room FW tank and blue from downstairs. Gotta make someone wonder I would guess the local cops have already checked it out.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Federal goverment just approved medical marijuana in all states...here comes the crackdown...by the way...I am PRO medical marijuana but I want to see what all the over reaction will be on new growers and "legal" dispensaries that are going to pop up everywhere...

rod

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I don't think blue light is what the narcotic unit would be looking for.Bright white lights.They also use infrared for the heat the lights put out.They also will go to the electric company and look for people using more then the normal amount.

Do your water testing in front of a window, syringes, test tubes, bottles of chemicals, if that dos not get there attention, they are not looking at you. Good idea to have a lawyers cell phone ready first!

rodclement said:
in the news today...not sure of details...lot's of happy people out there...

rod

Nope, The new law says the federal Government agencies will not pursue charges against people who are in possession/growing/using medical pot if it is deemed to be legal in their state. Like California. Sorry, you're still screwed in most states.