• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lay of the Land - Whats the difference between the Reefing sites?!

Not trying to be controversial here, but I really enjoy reading all the online reefing forums online. I'm just trying to figure out if there are clear differences between some of the sites I am looking through. I'm starting a 140 gallon Reef Tank and would love to do a tank build thread and get some feedback, but wasn't sure if it's better to do it in a local club near me in Jersey so I can meet people and get some good guidance from the more advanced reefers & mentors on these amazing forums. Would love to also swap, trade & buy from people I trust near me.
Are some of these sites more National, is popularity/size a factor.

Here are the sites I find myself on most in no particular order:
ReefCentral
ManhattanReefs
Reefs.com
3Reef
My absolute favorite is Reefkeeping TOTM and any other TOTM's I can find as those are what I aspire to one day do in my tank when I'm my reefkeeping skills get there.

Also, I find that many of the photos/older posts don't open so easily on iPhones. Are there apps you use on a phone that make this easier?

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Reef2reef is national and the go to site. IMHO

Manhattan reefs is a great marketplace

reefcentral has some cool calculators.

however. When your in a bind or need a helping hand. Locals is where it’s at. And that’s what NJRC is. A community of Reefers that look out for each other!!!!!
as you can see from my title I’m a little bias :). But I believe in the brand !!!!

Not trying to be controversial here, but I really enjoy reading all the online reefing forums online. I'm just trying to figure out if there are clear differences between some of the sites I am looking through. I'm starting a 140 gallon Reef Tank and would love to do a tank build thread and get some feedback, but wasn't sure if it's better to do it in a local club near me in Jersey so I can meet people and get some good guidance from the more advanced reefers & mentors on these amazing forums. Would love to also swap, trade & buy from people I trust near me.
Are some of these sites more National, is popularity/size a factor.

Here are the sites I find myself on most in no particular order:
ReefCentral
ManhattanReefs
Reefs.com
3Reef
My absolute favorite is Reefkeeping TOTM and any other TOTM's I can find as those are what I aspire to one day do in my tank when I'm my reefkeeping skills get there.

Also, I find that many of the photos/older posts don't open so easily on iPhones. Are there apps you use on a phone that make this easier?
Great question.
For starters. I completely agree with the prez... well said. And will add that I to visit lots of sites and dare say most of us do. But I can honestly say. I have met some genuinely nice people who have been extremely helpful in many ways with my reefing experience here at the NJRC. Including physical help. This is not to say the other sites aren’t useful. They truly are. I guess what I am saying is they are apples to oranges. For the best experience. Use a local and a national and you will get the most out of this wonderfully complex hobby.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Reefs.com and Manhattan Reefs are under the same banner if I'm correct. And 3reefs was absorbed by reef2reef.com if I remember.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I don’t really like the big forums like
Reef2reef. I always feel the vendors are always using the site to sell
products or service.

I like njreef club it’s local and the people are very helpful.

I do more Facebook pages
Like club melevs reef
Reef dudes

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
here's my take. sometimes when on the other sites, and theres hundreds or people commenting, you end up getting advice from people who CLAIM they know what they're doing. many people nowadays think they're experts just because they've watched YouTube videos and have a 34g tank that's thriving. majority of the reefers I've met on njreefers are true reefers that have been in the hobby for years. also, if I've never seen a person's setup, I rarely will take their advice. lots of posts talk about how good a piece of equipment is, yet they've only had it for about a month. if you choose local, you can meetup, hang out, chill, and talk reef talk all in at the same time. hope this helps.

here's my take. sometimes when on the other sites, and theres hundreds or people commenting, you end up getting advice from people who CLAIM they know what they're doing. many people nowadays think they're experts just because they've watched YouTube videos and have a 34g tank that's thriving. majority of the reefers I've met on njreefers are true reefers that have been in the hobby for years. also, if I've never seen a person's setup, I rarely will take their advice. lots of posts talk about how good a piece of equipment is, yet they've only had it for about a month. if you choose local, you can meetup, hang out, chill, and talk reef talk all in at the same time. hope this helps.
Well said and I'm feeling like local is where my head is at because of the community and meetup aspect.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Well said @DELxCMB.
& I have a 36, just saying... :p :dance:

Edit: well, it's my wife's tank. There is at least one more member here that says the tank is his but in reality THE WIFE won it, oops meant to say it's his wife's tank.
Lol.
hahahaha I just saw this !!!!! yea yea yea we all know it's her tank....I'm just the one paying for everything that goes in it..and maintaining it..and putting it together.....but it's still hers...