• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Learned my lesson with RBTA's

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Today, I was doing some maintenance on my tank. I was scraping the glass like I always do and my arm grazed my RBTA. I immediately felt a slight burning sensation. I didn't think much of it, but when I was done I had a nice little mark of where the nem got me. I didn't really think that my anemone would do that. Learned my lesson. Just another reminder to be very careful when we are handling the creatures in our tanks.

interesting! i've touched my rbta with my fingers/palm before...I did it to test the "stickiness" of the nem as it's a gauge of health. A healthy nem is one that will sting you lol. Time to pick up some gloves!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ouch! And I've been told the RBTA's don't have as many nematocysts as other anemomes, so their sting isn't too bad.

I've never been stung by my nem's, but have had many run-ins with jellyfish, that have the same simple touch nematocysts that sting....even if they're dead!

And Phil, I've never heard gauging the health of a nem by it's stickiness. You're welcome to check the health of mine if I can film it! :p However, I have noticed that, when feeding by nem's, that the RBTA has a relitively weak "stickiness" compaired to the mini-maxi....where the food sticks like grim death.

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's weird because I have touched this nem before with no issue. I have also come in contact with h. crispa and h. aurora with no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Phil, I've never heard gauging the health of a nem by it's stickiness. You're welcome to check the health of mine if I can film it! :p However, I have noticed that, when feeding by nem's, that the RBTA has a relitively weak "stickiness" compaired to the mini-maxi....where the food sticks like grim death.
I'm probably passing along fake internet info as fact - but i understood that a healthy nem would have the ability to sting, whereas one that was on it's way out would lack the energy to release the nematocyst.

I think it's more with the sebaes that stickiness matters. I've had a few run ins with BTAs, made the mistake of moving one with a tiny cut above my finger nail, woke up to a purple finger tip, was swelled for a few days, doctor gave me antibiotics but was sorta confused when I tried to explain the situation to him lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk