• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Led issue.

I have 5 apollo solor blast led units over my 300 gallon peninsula. 2 are older 3 newer. The 3 newer ones have the same pattern of 9 blue LEDs out The other older ones seem to have the same 4 dim but not completely out. Thinking it's the apollo controller. It's the second one I got from them but now he's out of business. Feedback and suggestions welcomed.
My thinking is what are the odd the same pattern of led burn out would occur in 3 modules. What could I use to test?
Alternate controller?
My wife will kill me if I tell her I need new lights.....

Are the fans still working properly? Could also be an area of the fixture that gets the hottest. I would not think it could be the controller because it would affect all leds in the string (all blues). My money would be on bad leds or bad solder connections.

Is it easy to open the case? Should be easy to swap new leds with a solder iron. You can also easily check if an led is bad by bridging it with a multimeter

Been doing my reading. It doesn't look too difficult to remove the case. Seems it's just the UV lights. I wish I had a spare fixture so I could pull them one at a time and test...hopefully it's just a bad led that screwed up the chain. Anyone have a apollo solorblast 5k they want to sell? Been looking...

You don't need to remove the led to test it with a multimeter, also the first couple generations of uv leds used did not take heat well and burnt out

I'm trying to find a way to isolate which fixture is the problem. I have rj45 connectors coming out of the controller. Then one spits into two lines. I've switched the channels but have the same issue. I'm thinking out loud here...if I discinnect all the lights from the chain and plug 2lights in at a time I should find one or two out of the five fixtures that light up normally if isolated from the unit with the burned out led. I hope it's only one fixture. I mean what are the odds all 5 fixtures have burned out uv LEDs ? Grr

just tried to isolate one of the lights but wasnt getting what i wanted. The fixture has three power cords and two dimable ports that you use a straight through network cable to tie into the controller of your choice. Channel one covers the whites and channel two covers the RBs/UVs and separate power and toggle switch for the moonlights. its just the UVs that arent working.

i ordered some off ebay the ones in the unit call for UVs (405 NM) the ones on ebay were 402.5- 405 closest i could get to the original Even reefbreeders were higher

Anyone have a suggestion of a fixture I can buy that is like the solar blast? Want to keep the tank up and running while I try to diagnose the issue. And led experts pm me! Could use some help.

Paul thank you for your help. Your offer (hopefully) won't be needed but I'm keeping you as plan B. I was able to buy an apollo reef solarblaster 5k from a guy on Michigan reefs. 125 shipped and it was just refurbished. So this may turn into a how to thread. Once I get the new light I'll pull all the lights off line and run just the refurb one. Make sure it powers up properly. Then I'll know my controller is good. Then it's process of elimination. I'm idiotically hoping there is a single led out. Who knows. But it's gotta be fixed.

So I got both my used apollo solor blast light and reef breeders LEDs in today. Plugged the light into my controller without any of the other fixtures. The controller is fine. So tomm ill be pulling one of the 5 down and testing some leds. I can replace ones that are not good. Let's see how it goes. I've really liked the apollo lights and unlike many am not wanting to go to another light form. So keep an eye out here and I'll let you know how it goes.

So lights are fixed. I will say this. I'm glad I pretested every led. One didn't work. And yes on these lights you burn all the leds on the channel if they go. So all the uv leds on my system have been changed. Not all UV put some more whites and blues in. Also swapped out one of my fixtures moon leds weren't lighting and when I checked them they lit with battery tester. Found exact driver on eBay for 1.97. Took a bit of time (finished at midnight). Was good to see everyone at the Christmas party. :).

And for anyone thinking of doing this get your LEDs from reef breeder they have the led that if they burn there is a wire to maintain the proper current to the rest of the chain.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Chris, great to see you've got this problem licked. Now I know who to call when my Apollos crap out. Note, I would have loved to see pictures of this fix. I'm an idiot when it comes to electronics.

EDIT TO ADD: Interestingly, I just looked at my two Apollos, and one of them has one LED that is out.

Last edited:
I was going to take pics but I had to have all my lights done and back up before the next day.
What color is it? I bought extra leds. I'll fix it for you.
I'm on vacation at the end of this coming week. Bring it over. Love to help out.