• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

led lighting - anyone deal with this company?

All i know is that some people say they are beter then MH and other say they arn't... all i've gotta say is i can't amagine the price of the ones in NYC the big TV type ones dang... those must be like 50k or something

This is my opinion about the product. I doubt if anyone had actually tried it yet, especially since as of today, now, it can only be preordered.

This looks like it could be an excellent product. With any new electronic product, it's usually easy to come out with one that is cheaper and better than previous products.

As matters stand, I would still consider this a first generation LED lighting product. Note how the price isn't too much different from the Solaris line of products. Although the manufacturer says their product is better than the Solaris LED lighting, only time and testing will tell us for sure. When did you ever have a manufacturer come out and say something like "My product is junk!(smile)

Because this product is not on the market, since you can only preorder, I would wait until I found a few people using it. I would also consider waiting due to the price of the unit. The payback over a more conventional MH system is still quite a few years.

If I needed new lighting today, now, I'd go with a more conventional system. If my existing lighting was ok, and I could live with it, I'd wait a few years before investing in an LED lighting system. I do think that in long term LED lighting will be one of the major types of lighting for reef systems. However, the price will need to drop to the point where the initial purchase price is similar to MHs.

Good point Dave,

Anyways why are they so much? aren't they cheap to make? I've seen DIY stuff on ebay. That i though would be cool for a nano.

Nick

The high output LED used in LED lighting fixtures for aquariums are still out od sight (no joke intended) expensive.

his is why I say give the industry a few years to get the productions costs down, and LED lighting will be a major player.

For a nano, yes, you could consider using generally available high output LED, and make your own fixture. It would be a lot to wire, and your working with some kind of small parts, but it would be doable by anyone that has worked with IC electronic projects before.

At a MACNA show a year or two ago, I did see a small nano, about 5 gal, lighted by a DIY LED project. As I recall, they use 3 white LEDs and 3 blue LED. It was a good demo, but I am not how sure it would translate to a larger tank.