• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

LEDs

I have DIY leds from rapidLED over my nano, I feel im not getting the best coloration.

I currently have..

channel 1 : 8 RB 2 B (dimmable)
channel 2 : 6 CW (dimmable)
channel 3 : 2 V (moonlight driver)

I was thinking about switching out the CW for NW and adding some more blues. What should I change to get better color from my corals? 1st 2 drivers can hold 10 leds ea.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Maybe because I am tired, but I can't figure out your acronyms. Can you elaborate what colors you have and the kelvin or nm? What fish, corals are in your tank and what colors are you looking to get to "pop".

CW- Coolwhite 8k
RB- royal blue 465nm
B- blue 485nm
v- violet 410-420nm

Nw- neutral white 5k

mostly fluorescent oranges and bright yellows seem more dull for some reason. I feel like I should change the Cool whites out for something else.

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This is a tough question, because it all depends on YOUR eye, and what you like. I should also preface this by telling you I’m Red/Green colorblind. I personally like a blue tank. So I’d add at least 2 more RB’s (since you said the power supply can handle up to 10), and you currently have 8. I will also tell you that ReefBreeders include a couple red and green LEDs, so you might wish to add one of each of those. JMTC.

well I have 10 leds on the one driver which is my blues so I cant add more to that driver, but I can add some to the whites. I was thinking the CWs were too bright as I also like a bluer color. Im probably going to add some more blues and a violet. But not sure what to do about the whites.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
One of the biggest complaints of the early led fixtures was that they only had the blue and white LEDs and certain colors lost their pop. I know some people supplemented with t5s just to get that color back. Luckily the led companies listened and started releasing new colors. If you want orange then add red LEDs. I recentl swapped a bunch out for red, green and fiji pink style LEDs and the reds and oranges on my fish came back.

Going from cool white to neutral white is going to wash out your colors more. The yellower the light, the worse your corals are going to look. This is the reason a lot of people did not like 10k halide bulbs, your corals grew well but looked brown and yellow.

if you are looking for that bluish/purple look you want a ratio of 3:1 Royal Blue to cool white. then add a few of the red and green LEDs to get full spectrum. i think that will help you get the color pop youre looking for. also if you make everything dimmable, you can really play with it to your liking.

This is what im thinking about doing...

My heatsink can hold 24 leds so with 2 (1-10 Led) dimmable drivers and a moonlight driver I can make 24.

1 (dimmable): 8RB-465nm 2B-485nm
2 (dimmable): 6CW-8k 1R-630nm 1G-535nm
3 (moonlight driver): 4 Violets 420nm

I will probably keep the 1st string up to 100% but dim the whites and colors down a bit to give a bluer look. I think this will give me the coloration I want. What do you guys think? I could also add 2 more blues to the 2nd string since the way I have it up there I only have 8 on that string which is capable of up to 10.

This is what im thinking about doing...

My heatsink can hold 24 leds so with 2 (1-10 Led) dimmable drivers and a moonlight driver I can make 24.

1 (dimmable): 8RB-465nm 2B-485nm
2 (dimmable): 6CW-8k 1R-630nm 1G-535nm
3 (moonlight driver): 4 Violets 420nm

I will probably keep the 1st string up to 100% but dim the whites and colors down a bit to give a bluer look. I think this will give me the coloration I want. What do you guys think? I could also add 2 more blues to the 2nd string since the way I have it up there I only have 8 on that string which is capable of up to 10.
i think this will work pretty well to get the coloration you're looking for. i would maybe entertain the idea of 2 red, 2 green, and two 2 violet but that's up to you.