• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Let me introduce myself

Hello Reef Geeks,

My friends call me Gecko, I live in Point Pleasant Beach NJ and I have kept saltwater fish for around 20 years. A couple of years ago I switched my fish only tank over to a reef tank.

I switched from a skimmerless canister filter to a more modern approach being the Berlin system. I struggled for months to figure out the best way to go with the future equipment purchases. After close two a year of kicking this around in my head and speaking with hobbyists, I decided to by a Lifereef filtration system. I then had to think about new lights which led me to some great stuff about T5 lighting so I purchased an 8-bulb fixture. I live in an old house near the beach and it doesn’t have central air so I new I needed a chiller and ended up buying a 1/6hp Oceanic chiller and I was ready to go…

But when I tried to switch everything over not to mention curing the live rock in my garage and transferring fish from one tank to another my Hippo Tang got Ich. I ended up loosing the Tang, my Butterfly, my Imperator Angelfish, Clown Trigger and Stars and Stripes Puffer.

The only fish that made it through the transfer to the reef tank was my Maroon Clownfish which is now over 14years old. With this all said I now have around a 4” thick sand bed and approximately 130lbs of live rock in my 75. I have a Superman Monti, Bali Slimmer, ORA Oregon Tort, a few beautifully other none named Acropora’s and a few branching Monti’s. I also have a few LPS & Soft corals.

My water has never been better and my tank is currently doing well.

Thanks
Gecko

Hi Gecko, and WELCOME! Great to have you aboard. :) You must have been pretty sad/upset when you lost those fish during the transfer from the ich. I just updated to a bigger tank myself not all that long ago, and sure enough, shortly after everything was in the new tank I had a massive ich outbreak as well. Lost some fish, too.

Would love to see some pictures of your tank.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Welcome to the club, my condolences on your lost fish they are are beautiful fish.

Gecko said:
How do I go about posting pics? I would like to share some photo's.

Welcome to NJRC Gecko! Sorry for your loss. Hopefully, your clown will soon have some new friends to share her tank. If you check out the "sticky" thread at the top of the General Discussion Forum which title is "READ ME FIRST", it has links to other very important pieces of info about the club, website, etc... including posting pictures. Here is a link to that thread.

http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=12331.0

Will be looking for your tank shots!

welcome and good luck with the reef setup. im right in bayville and if you need anything just give a shout. i have a garage and shed literally FILLED with tanks and dry goods both new and used. if you need anything ill be more than happy to lend a hand.