• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lets go shoot stuff! Medieval style!

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, I used to be a competition level archer in my youth, bout 100 years ago,
Always wanted to get into medieval stuff such as yew English longbows and the like for ages.
Taking a plunge on a few hickory staves to carve out a bow over the next few weeks, and looking into cedar shafts and fletching equipment to build arrows.
Of course, theres a need to delve into leather-working as well as I'll need a quiver and some misc bits (have some experience here, but outside advice is always good).
Ayone? Boyer, fletcher, leatherwork? Even an experienced shooter to discuss longbow lengths, woods, draws, etc... (aside from Hockeynut, who's probably out in the Atlantic somewhere).

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So, I used to be a competition level archer in my youth, bout 100 years ago,
Always wanted to get into medieval stuff such as yew English longbows and the like for ages.
Taking a plunge on a few hickory staves to carve out a bow over the next few weeks, and looking into cedar shafts and fletching equipment to build arrows.
Of course, theres a need to delve into leather-working as well as I'll need a quiver and some misc bits (have some experience here, but outside advice is always good).
Ayone? Boyer, fletcher, leatherwork? Even an experienced shooter to discuss longbow lengths, woods, draws, etc... (aside from Hockeynut, who's probably out in the Atlantic somewhere).
Used to have a recurve bow and shot in a range in Jersey City many moons ago.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Used to have a recurve bow and shot in a range in Jersey City many moons ago.
summit archery !!!!!!!!! i used to go there too!!! Mark...i thought i had a lot of hobbies...until i met you haahahahaha!!

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I always wanted to try competition archery. I find it very cool shoot with a recurve and traditional bow

Mark - you know we hunt live targets from our tree stand. lol

Attachments

• C998700C-12B1-45DE-913F-43D885431D9A.jpeg
    C998700C-12B1-45DE-913F-43D885431D9A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I always wanted to try competition archery. I find it very cool shoot with a recurve and traditional bow

Mark - you know we hunt live targets from our tree stand. lol
I always wanted to try fishing with a bow and arrow.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Well, the bow is done.
She's just over 7' in height.
28" draw (standard for longbows) at 50-55 pound draw.
Carved a few dragons in her, few coats of poly, and she's good to go.

Now waiting on some forged bodkin arrowheads, a few ash shafts, and after grabbing some duck feathers from the garden we're onto the arrows.

If the French, or a dragon, attack NJ, I'm on the front line.

IMG_3266.jpegIMG_3267.jpegIMG_3268.jpeg

Last edited: