• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lets tank filter socks (and SALE)

Do you use filter socks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lets Talk Filter Socks
There's a lot of debate when it comes to filter sock use in our tanks, so today lets discuss who uses them and why or who doesn't use them and why.

I'll start, I use socks because I feel the pros outweigh the cons:

Pros:
  1. keeps the sump cleaner, which in turn keeps your pumps cleaner so you can let them run just a little longer between cleanings.
  2. Clearer water, always a good thing
  3. helps with bubbles going into the sump
Cons:
  1. Maintenance, you do have to clean them often. Spouse might not enjoy you running them through the laundry :)
  2. decaying food getting trapped in the sock.
Through the end of the month we're having a sock sale, use code SOCKSNJ for 10% off our already low filter sock and filter sock holder prices.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I have been using x2 7x32 100 micron filter socks for about a year. I just purchased a klir-7 recently. It does not fit in my current sump due to how it’s plumbed. All of my filter socks were dirty, and I just didn’t want to clean them, so I’ve let it run for the last week or so with no socks. I expected more debris in the water, but there isn’t. The skimmer is pulling much more out, so instead of cleaning the cup weekly (it drains to a 2.5 gallon container). It looks like cleaning it may be a every day or two job now.

The corals all look happier. I’m not sure how to proceed. Either I start using the klir on the new larger sump I’m installing, or keep going sockless and get a skimmer cup neck cleaner...

As of now I’m leaning towards the latter.

Keep in mind my tank isn't running yet but I ditched the filter socks & replaced with 7" cups. My thought process was I'm more likely to just ditch filter floss on a regular basis than to keep the socks clean. I also don't really want to throw them in my laundry or buy / store enough to do a large load of them at once.

Keep in mind my tank isn't running yet but I ditched the filter socks & replaced with 7" cups. My thought process was I'm more likely to just ditch filter floss on a regular basis than to keep the socks clean. I also don't really want to throw them in my laundry or buy / store enough to do a large load of them at once.

I've been thinking about bringing the cups into the store, how are they working for you? I've heard mixed reviews.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I use a 7" cup and ditched the socks. I had 6 socks, 5 felt and 1 mesh, and would wash them when the last one was added to the sump.
Wife did not like cleaning them in the washer and they still look dirty. I did not want to keep replacing them so went with a cup.
I use poly fill and just toss it out once a week. The cup just needs to rinsed once and awhile. This method is quick and easy for me.
My tank looks good still so no side affects to my knowledge.

I use a 7" cup and ditched the socks. I had 6 socks, 5 felt and 1 mesh, and would wash them when the last one was added to the sump.
Wife did not like cleaning them in the washer and they still look dirty. I did not want to keep replacing them so went with a cup.
I use poly fill and just toss it out once a week. The cup just needs to rinsed once and awhile. This method is quick and easy for me.
My tank looks good still so no side affects to my knowledge.

Thank for the feedback!

It’s. It that big (yet), it’s 45 gallons. Buth the section it was in was big enough that they sat in there in a J shape.

I was picturing a small pond in your basement :).

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
I run a filter sock on my frag tank but I've been considering removing it. It's primarily zoas and in thinking I'm filtering out too much food/particles and may be thinking that's why my growth is a little slower.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have what you might call a mix. I use mesh socks in the sump that sits under the DT. But I cut a 6 x 18 piece of pad I lay over the three socks this reduces gurgle and can be thrown out and the sock is like a backup when I pull the pad or something squeezes by. Then thru skimmer. From there it goes to several tanks in the basement and goes thru a final polish with felt socks in the return sump. But it is a new set up. Guess we will see how it goes and adjust from there

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I run a filter sock on my frag tank but I've been considering removing it. It's primarily zoas and in thinking I'm filtering out too much food/particles and may be thinking that's why my growth is a little slower.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mags, take it off for a few weeks and see how it goes. The worst that can happen is your nutrients start creeping up. If it gets too bad, just put it back in.

Public_aquarium
Public_aquarium
Something like this will do