• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Leveling tank on basement(cement) floor

I have a 210 thats been up for two years in my basement and the there is a level difference of almost 1/4" between the left and right sides of the tank. The stand is level. Its the floor that is gradually off by 1/4". Have been reading old threads and seems like most people shimmed their stands with wood or metal. Is this the best route ? I am considering this route until i put tiles in the basement next year. I do not want to go the cement route. would prefer to just empty the tank but not have to move it from the stand. If there is anyone in the club who is experienced with shimming stands would appreciate their help. thanks

Pete

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, it's probably not what you want to hear, but I had a leveling problem with my basement floor as well.

I think I had more than a 1/4" difference though. I (with A LOT of help from Phyl and John) poured a concrete pad in the basement. I wasn't comfortable with shimming a large tank, so that's why I went with the concrete.

Shimming a tank isn't a big deal. First level the stand by shimming the low end until it's level. Then work your way back to the other end using wood shingles. place one shingle on top of the other so the thick butts are at opposite ends. Then put them under the stand and slide them together until the raise up to meet the bottom of the stand. It's very similar to shimming a door jamb.

what kind of shimms do you use on the low end? Does HD or Lowes sell shimms specifically made for project like this which are meant for a lot of weight? or are you referring to the regular wood shims.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I used the plastic shimms from HD. THey are a little more solid than the wooden ones and they won't rot if they get wet.

I just used scraps of wood I had laying around for the low end. Regular wood shims are fine, after all the stand is made of wood. I just bought a bundle of shingles since I have a lot of shimming to do on my 1880s house. LOL

Jcurry@wesketch said:
I just used scraps of wood I had laying around for the low end. Regular wood shims are fine, after all the stand is made of wood. I just bought a bundle of shingles since I have a lot of shimming to do on my 1880s house. LOL
whats size tank did you shimm?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The only experience leveling a tank that I have is Brian's! I'm sure MikeM could offer some words of wisdom though!

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah, there was no shimming my tank. The floor was so uneven that the stand was like a see saw! I have however shimmed my old 90g with the plastic shims from HD.

I picked up some plastic and cedar shimms at HD. Funny thing is that when the stand and tank were first put in and empty it was level. I guess it didnt show until all the water and weight settled on the stand.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
PM sent
I had to shim my 220 about half an inch. I used under layment shingles like Jeff suggested.

thanks all for your input. special thanks to MikeM for coming over to help level the tank. BTW we used the composite/ plastic shims. the company claims they can withstand up to 16,000 pds of pressure. ;D

panmanmatt said:
I used the plastic shimms from HD. THey are a little more solid than the wooden ones and they won't rot if they get wet.

+1 use the plastic or composite shims. Home depot has them. This way being its in the basement on cement, if water ever sits or puddles around the shim it wont rot out. Just thinking in the long run.

When you level it, you only have to bring the low end up to level it. but does your stand have a horizontal piece that runs the length of the stand along the floor? If so you should shim about every 6= along this bottom edge. If you just have four legs you'll shim 2-3 legs

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Pete. Is it put back together yet?
We raised the lower end with composite shims until it was level. We then shimmed the front every 6 to 8 inches (shims were fat to thin and thin to fat put together like Jeff said.) The back was almost against the wall, so we shimed under the horizontal supports.