• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

LIgHt choices

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So many choices for a mixed tank what lights are you running ,and how is growth..?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I have a minimag LED flashlight, its pretty focused.
I spend the day walking around the tank illuminating each coral for 20-30 minutes at a time.
Arms are tired and growth sucks, but I have lost 15 pounds.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Seriously, I'm really beginning to think that lights are lights. Folks are getting as much growth, it seems, from decent black boxes as they are from higher end brands.
I was running 3 Hydra AI 26HDs over my 120. Things were going well. I added a hybrid T5 fixture for a total of $1000 hanging over the tank for a bit more depth in color, no real changes in growth, but it still was good. No ecstacy there, just a 'Well, guess its a bit better'.
I ran an Orbit Marine over my pest tank (xenia, gps, yellow polyps, etc), everything did fantastic.
Then I moved a 24" Mazarra Razor over the pest tank and shifted the OM over a 10g fragger, both tanks doing well, just as well with either light.
Have adjusted all tank lights through various spectrums, all doing well though, obviously, blue looks nice and has decent growth.
I think it's starting to come down buying a decent light and then determining your budget for looks, designer features, and controller preferences more than anything else.
I can't speak for the uber high end lights, but through Mazarras, AIs, Orbits, and Kessils within the $200-300 range, they all seem, to me, to perform as well as each other.

So I had the original hydras over my tank for the first 2 and a half years. I had 2 52s across the front and 2 26s behind them. I had good growth and color. But they really didnt have good light spread. My tank is not huge by any means amd to have to use 4 leds is kinda crazy. Well, after I started loosing channels on the lights I decided to go ecotech, I got 2 gen4 xr30 non pro units and wow. They really are gorgeous. The light blending, spread and intensity spread is excellent. I just removed the last of my hydras(2 26s and 1 52) off my frag tank today, and installed 1 gen4 xr30 pro, and tank is twice as bright. I'm really impressed with them. And the best part is there has to be a million units for sale on r2r right now for decent prices. I just got my pro unit with a November 2019 build date, for 450 shipped

Seriously, I'm really beginning to think that lights are lights. Folks are getting as much growth, it seems, from decent black boxes as they are from higher end brands.
I was running 3 Hydra AI 26HDs over my 120. Things were going well. I added a hybrid T5 fixture for a total of $1000 hanging over the tank for a bit more depth in color, no real changes in growth, but it still was good. No ecstacy there, just a 'Well, guess its a bit better'.
I ran an Orbit Marine over my pest tank (xenia, gps, yellow polyps, etc), everything did fantastic.
Then I moved a 24" Mazarra Razor over the pest tank and shifted the OM over a 10g fragger, both tanks doing well, just as well with either light.
Have adjusted all tank lights through various spectrums, all doing well though, obviously, blue looks nice and has decent growth.
I think it's starting to come down buying a decent light and then determining your budget for looks, designer features, and controller preferences more than anything else.
I think even the black boxes have the lower range uv spectrums in them now. So you can really grow anything with them.. the only thing I dont like about them is that the whites, green and reds are all tied together, and can cause algae issues on some peoples systems. Other than that in think your right, it's all about the blending and controllability, and for some the looks.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I am in the market for some lights as well
I have a 30” deep tank so I need something that can reach the bottom.
I had kessil 360x on my last tank and 360we on the frag tank. I had good growth and nothing died using the kessil.

Now Since I need to buy 3 lights to go over my new tank. I am thinking about getting some used ecotech G4.

Kessil is suppose to update the AP700.
If I could get 3 used AP700 For a good price that might be good.

Maxspect razor 300 I would need just two Of those and I have seen them for sales used cheap on r2r.

The last option for me is 3 ocean revive
To me these are the best black boxes lights.

My tank won’t need lights for another 2 months so let’s see if apex lights (sky) will be released.

Last edited:
Sure back in the early 2000s.. lol. Anyone want a 10 bulb 48in fixture. Lol. I still have the one I used over my grow out

When I was considering a 200 DD a few years back the 10 bulb T5 was going to be my go to light.
I have an Ocean Revive on my current frag tank, I absolutely hate it, it replaced a AI Prime HD which I hated too. My T5 just arrived today and BRS shipment with bulbs should be in later today. Can't wait to swap it out

Nice. The fixture I have was a custom built unit i made with furniture grade plywood and a big reflector. And used 3 sets of ballasts to adjust intensity

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I'm running Kessil across the board on my tanks, mostly AP700's but a couple A360 & A80. I have 4 T5s over the display with 2 AP700. The T5s help with shadowing of the LEDs due to my stupid rock layout. I'm getting exactly what I want from them. Great growth, looks amazing. Because of the density of the LEDs under that glass bubble, the color mixing is awesome and the shimmer is just plain silly. You have seen my display. I can even see shimmer on the display tank with a glass top, using light light diffusers, and the T5s on.

That's what I like. There are so many options, you can find something that works for you. As long as you have enough power for your water depth and desired corals, you're good to focus on parameter stability.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
found it

Now that ecotech released the G5 and they moved away from the single puck led.
Orphek light is also very popular so I think maybe kessil will also have a replacement for the AP700 that is not two pucks.

I really like the AP700 so to save money I might take 3 from you.

When I was considering a 200 DD a few years back the 10 bulb T5 was going to be my go to light.
I have an Ocean Revive on my current frag tank, I absolutely hate it, it replaced a AI Prime HD which I hated too. My T5 just arrived today and BRS shipment with bulbs should be in later today. Can't wait to swap it out
I tried LEDS also but I always go back the t5s.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Debating here as well with LED or T5 with the new setup.
Saw a 4ft t% halide hybrid on FBM for $50; I am tempted.

I use an old Eco-Lights fixture with 150w of LED and everything grows a tad faster than I would like. I never run 100% intensity which I guess PSE&G hates and my monthly electric bill thanks me for. Like Mark said lights are lights and you can get growth out of just about any light source. It will come down to more about what you want the tank to look like and your budget. You have LED's which are point source lighting similar to metal halides which is where you get the shimmer from, think of a jewelry store for example. We also have fluorescent (aka T5 and T8 lamped fixtures) which are linear light source which gives a nice even light distribution.

I think I actually have an old 3' long fixture in my attic with I think 2 150w MH and 4 T5s and extra bulbs. I would have to double check bulb configuration but you could have it for free i you like. I stopped using it because it was the heater for my living room year round.

I always wanted to try halides. Been thinking about setting up a 50 cube I might try halides on that or a 6 bulb fixture that I have already.