• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Light conversion

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
How big is your tank, what are the specs on your current lighting, what are you thinking about getting?

currently running 2 t-5's 1 14k 1 actininc blue about 10 hours a day with night light reef brites oin all day as well. about 3 hours a day i run my 2 500watt metal halides. Looking to switch to two 120 led units.

NOPE I feel i have to much light I only run for 3 hours a day but i see these led tanks that just look so much better and with great growth.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
LOL I have not seen 500w MH before. Ok, so the 120w led units are probably the same as 250w mh (give or take a lot, like are they 3w vs 1w, lenses, led types, etc etc) so take that into play. The nice thing is you can run them all day, less heat, less electricity, better spectrum. Over a 90g I think two would be plenty.

LOL I have not seen 500w MH before. Ok, so the 120w led units are probably the same as 250w mh (give or take a lot, like are they 3w vs 1w, lenses, led types, etc etc) so take that into play. The nice thing is you can run them all day, less heat, less electricity, better spectrum. Over a 90g I think two would be plenty.

2 would definitely be plenty for a 90 if you're looking at the 120W LED units out there. just make sure you get a full spectrum fixture and not just blue & whites

Whites and blues are still good you will still get growth and color but it is believed that full spectrum gives better growth , I can attest that full spectrum gives much better color(I switched from AI Sol blue to AI Vegas..)

I also know a lot of people who only had the white/blue Led lights had to supplement with T-5s to get the color they liked...

I also know a lot of people who only had the white/blue Led lights had to supplement with T-5s to get the color they liked...

i'm one of those people that is currently debating between swapping out my white & blue fixtures for full spectrum or just getting 2x48" t5s to get the color.. so I agree with you here.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
i'm one of those people that is currently debating between swapping out my white & blue fixtures for full spectrum or just getting 2x48" t5s to get the color.. so I agree with you here.

I recently went through the same debate. I just slapped 2 t5s over my canopy. I run them for 3 hrs a day. Until the debate on color combos are settled. I figured it would be the best solution. I like it so far

2 ai Sols..... I have a Blue plus and Purple plus.

I recently went through the same debate. I just slapped 2 t5s over my canopy. I run them for 3 hrs a day. Until the debate on color combos are settled. I figured it would be the best solution. I like it so far

2 ai Sols..... I have a Blue plus and Purple plus.

yea but the cost of a 48" retro would be comparable to getting 1 of the reefbreeders units. im lazy lately lol, don't know if I want to retro that.

Remember this week is a great time to get Apollo LEDs with our group buy ...which have full spectrum(which is why I waited till now also)

Tank

What's inside of your tank? Is it a full-blown grown out reef or just frags? Or maybe just softies.

Bro any person these days will say that mh+t5 at the best light setup you can have. If your like me that's wanted to try the latest and best out there then go for it. Just keep your lighting setup in case it doesn't work out. Or only try the led's over one side of your tank before switching permanently.