• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting advice please

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, one of my G3s burned out (I have 2 over a 36" tank) and I sent it to Radion for repair, but its not happening, too old to fix.
They offered me a steep discount on a replacement, so I have an XR15 Blue coming this week (24"x24" spread but claims it can reach to 30").
I have a 30 gallon IM tank, only 12" deep, 12" width but 36" length.
I don't like the idea of having half the tank under a G3 and the other half under a G6, cuz I'm as anal as all you other reefers.
So, the dilemma...

I was thinking on mounting the new G6 over the center of the tank with a Reef Brite attached...
I'd position the reef Brites to point to the sides of the tank to extend light coverage (apparently each RB LED adds approx 40par).
I keep mostly softies which I would keep around the perimeter and move my few sticks towards the center of the tank.

I'm a bit tight to drop another $550+ (mount, diffuser, etc) on a second light atm. The $200 for the Reef Brite is a bit more forgiving.
Thoughts?

I have 2 x reefbrite addons for the Hydra 32s and I can say they do give a bit of additional par along with some nice pop to the coral. I can do a bit of a par test later today to give you an idea on with vs without.

So, one of my G3s burned out (I have 2 over a 36" tank) and I sent it to Radion for repair, but its not happening, too old to fix.
They offered me a steep discount on a replacement, so I have an XR15 Blue coming this week (24"x24" spread but claims it can reach to 30").
I have a 30 gallon IM tank, only 12" deep, 12" width but 36" length.
I don't like the idea of having half the tank under a G3 and the other half under a G6, cuz I'm as anal as all you other reefers.
So, the dilemma...

I was thinking on mounting the new G6 over the center of the tank with a Reef Brite attached...
I'd position the reef Brites to point to the sides of the tank to extend light coverage (apparently each RB LED adds approx 40par).
I keep mostly softies which I would keep around the perimeter and move my few sticks towards the center of the tank.

I'm a bit tight to drop another $550+ (mount, diffuser, etc) on a second light atm. The $200 for the Reef Brite is a bit more forgiving.
Thoughts?
You probably can find a t5 hybrid for less online

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Damn, sorry to hear about the Gen3 Mark.

your current mounts will work for the G6s, you don't need to buy new ones. I would run the G3s along side the Gen6, it will be a bit wonky but you can adjust both lights to match for now. This is a bit unethical but up to you if you want to do it. once you have more funds, send in the other for repair say its flickering sometimes or something, and get that deep discount again lol

horseplay

NJRC Member
I think you can probably trade with someone for two G4's. Or buy two G4's with the same amount of money. But for that tank, you're better off selling the radion's and replace with two AI primes and probably end up with some extra $.

Two Radions or two AI Primes would definitely be more beneficial, however there is someone on r2r selling the reef brites for 140. I was able to get 2 sets for nothing but a trade.

ReefBrites are great for color but I never felt like they added that much PAR. But if you're mostly doing softies on the side, then you'll probably be fine.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I would get the ai blades. T5 is on its way out so I wouldn’t buy any more t5 fixture. The AI blades you can mount to the mounts you have for the radions.

I had the reef brights over my tank and I didn’t care for them.

Attachments

• 1D88C374-BD49-4A8C-A136-EE0B27F35D48.png
    1D88C374-BD49-4A8C-A136-EE0B27F35D48.png
    391.7 KB · Views: 1