• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

lighting for 2.5 or 5 gal acro tank

I'm looking for the best lighting for a 2.5 or 5 gal sps tank . Mainly acro I'm Concerned about. I heard it can be done and have asked many people and received the " impossible " it can't be done answer. I'm just looking for hypothetical answers. Thank u in advance. // I looked in the the 70w hqi viper clamp lamp and feel it could be. The answer I'm looking for please do share ur opinion on this.

I am sure it can be done if your a details person. Sump ATO would be a must for a nano for acro for stabilty. Now the viper has a long arm so on a tank that small it would be a problem, but a guy on another site used it by making a foot print of the tank out of wood for the tank to sit on and then adding a vertical piece of wood on the back to clamp the viper onto.

good luck

I have seen people using car HID lights for small tanks like that. another you will have to worry about is the heat coming from the light and summer is around the corner. Why not a tank a little bigger like a 10g?

I don't think the lighting here is a problem. You can utilize many options not unlike the viper. I think your biggest problem ( unless the sps are hardy, unlike torts and others ) your biggest problem will be water stability. I kid you not, the change in ph or alk along with temperature in a tank that small will cause rtn overnight on some sps. Now, in my tank ( 12 gallon ) I do have some sps and they are doing really well. Just depends on the water stability IMO. Get yourself a viper with a 150w HQI DE Radium and you will be utilizing the 420 and 460nm spectrum so actinics are not REQUIRED but nice for Aesthetics. If you can manage to maintain your water quality and param's you should be fine. Have one bad day and it's probably gonna be all over.