• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting for 75 gal

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I'm still working on the 'plan', the stand, sump/filtration etc and am just thinking about the lighting- don't think I'll get into sps- but you never know- I have two 165w Relassy lights but wondering/ thinking about an upgrade that won't break the bank- suggestions- any used for sale?

I would look into getting maybe 2 x hydra 26hds.. they aren't too expensive and can be found pretty easily used.

There are a bunch on r2r, not sure what your price point is but they go for around 200. New is hydra 32 which is close to 400 for one.

I have been searching high and low for my Hydras. There are several on R2R in the 2 to 230 range. I just picked one up for 215. These lights are great lights. You can def find. I sent out several private messages when I was looking. I had many people respond saying they still have them. If your interested I can give you their R2R names so you can check with them

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I have been searching high and low for my Hydras. There are several on R2R in the 2 to 230 range. I just picked one up for 215. These lights are great lights. You can def find. I sent out several private messages when I was looking. I had many people respond saying they still have them. If your interested I can give you their R2R names so you can check with them
Don't have 400+ for lights in my budget- will go with what i got for now

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I do have a 150/175w metal halide light- don't think I want to go in that direction- what about adding t5's to what I do have- or a led strip light

D

Deleted member 27248

I'm still working on the 'plan', the stand, sump/filtration etc and am just thinking about the lighting- don't think I'll get into sps- but you never know- I have two 165w Relassy lights but wondering/ thinking about an upgrade that won't break the bank- suggestions- any u

I need to read

horseplay

NJRC Member
If you're the DYI kind of guy, why not build a T5 hybrid with a pair of T5s and the LED you currently have. You can get retro kit for about $120 and a pair of bulbs for $45 for a total of $165. And there are always people selling T5 fixtures for next to nothing.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
If you're the DYI kind of guy, why not build a T5 hybrid with a pair of T5s and the LED you currently have. You can get retro kit for about $120 and a pair of bulbs for $45 for a total of $165. And there are always people selling T5 fixtures for next to nothing.
Looking into that- are all T5 lights/ fixtures the same- what is the retro kit you're talking about

horseplay

NJRC Member

All t5 are the same but not all t5 fixtures are not the same. However these are designed for the reef hobby and have individual reflectors. I think these have the same components (blast, reflectors) as the my Aquatic Life hybrid. Some t5 offers dimming. I had a dimmable one before and found it useless, especially used with LED's. Some fixtures (ATI for example) have fan cooling which supposedly prolong the life of the bulbs. The retro kit (like mine) have exposed bulbs, making active cooling less necessary. These retro kit are used by many and good quality.

You will build a frame/light canopy to mount the fixture and LED fixtures.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Thought I might up the lighting for the 40b, just to check out options, seems like T5's come in 24" and 48", not 30 or 36, unless I'm missing something