• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting for a 29 gallon?

I am in the process of setting up a 29g reef. Right now i have 2x65w PC. I wanted to know everyone's thoughts on adding a MH to the setup.

My goal is to eventually disassemble the PC fixture. Salvage the ballasts and caps. Purchase two new reflectors. Add to a DIY wooden canopy with a MH.

do you think the MH plus 130w PC will be over kill? I would like to eventually put some sps in there.

Thoughts?

I tihnk a single MH wouldnt be overkill at all. With a good reflector and the right height off the water, you shouldnt have any shadowing.

Do you think the MH plus the PC's would be overkill? I know then it would DEFINATELY be plenty of light, just want to make sure its not too much.

I run my A/C in the room during the summer and in the winter i keep the house cool. I don't think heat would be an issue.

I think the first question you need to ask yourself is " What will I be keeping in the tank?" The answer to that will determine if the lighting is overkill or not. I also think that you could probably just go with a coralife hood ( money speaking ) instead of building a hood yourself and dealing with the nightmare of if it will cause a fire, and is there enough circulation. You can get a nice reasonably priced fixture / hood that has the halides and actinics along with moonlights and a controller and not have to worry about it at all.

So what's going in the tank? Oh and WELCOME TO NJRC!

when i had my 29g i had a 250w MH with a 10k bulb, and 2 pcs bulbs, its ok if you put it like 6" high for coveragen and heat, after that you will not have problem growing nothing in that tank

Gabe

Well right now i currently have a Coralife 2x65w PC hood. Which is fine just to set up the tank.

I want to strip down the coralife hood, take the reflectors, ballasts, and PC holders and mount them in a homemade hood with a 150-175W MH retro.

I am thinking about eventually keeping some Acro's, SPS, and maybe a clam. Which all need alot of light (for the most part).

I am pretty handy with woodworking and electrical work.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That would be a nice setup for a 29gal. With the PC's and a 175watt halide, that would make it 10.5 watts per gallon.

Actually, scratch that. Iwasaki doesn't make a 175w 6500k single ended MH bulb. Going to have to go either 150W or 250W.

Would 250w be too much?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes a 250 would be a bit much. Then theres the heat problem. Why are you going with a 65K ?

mike i had a 250mh in my 29g and i did not any issues with heat and my canopy was almost all the way close just with 1 clip fan

Gabe

mikem said:
Yes a 250 would be a bit much. Then theres the heat problem. Why are you going with a 65K ?

Well I am new to the whole MH thing period. Iwasaki is the only bulb that can be fired by either a MH or Mecury Vapor Ballast which is the ones used in the DIY. They don't make a 10k i believe.

I have a 29 right now that I'm running a Catalina Ultra Reef hood with 150W HQI + 2x65W PCs. It sits about 6" off the water, and I have never had any heat problems (no chiller). The light difference is amazing between now and before the HQI. I highly recommend the upgrade!!

Subliminal

NJRC Member
I just bought a hamilton ballast and a 175w 14k bulb and a pfo reflector, made a hood and stuck a clip-on-the-bed-post type of fan by it. The bulb is probably 7 inches from the water, and my tank temps have been staying round ~78.

Loving the upgrade from the PCs I used to run.

:)