• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting for my 125

Okay so I have a few options for lighting and I wanted to get everyone's opinions before I jump the gun. So my current 125 is a mixed reef, lps/softies on the bottom and sps up top, and the only lights im running are 2 kessils right over the center (whole tank isn't illuminated yet). I only have 2 lights from my old build and haven't been able to add more because of budget constraints but now I'm ready to get 2 more. So I can get 2 kessil 360wes from a member from this forum for a good price, 2 noopsyche k7's or 2 used radion xr15 gen 4's. They all are around the same price $400-$500 range, the kessils and xr15's are used and the noops are brand new. Opinions and thoughts!?! Thanks !

I'm not familiar with the Noopsyche, but there is a review here: Noopsyche K7 Pro II - Crimson's Review and Growth Thread

How old are the Kessil and Radions? I personally have had issues with LEDs (growth, bleaching) at around the 3 year mark. I'm constantly trying to dial them in, trying to find the new "sweet spot" to compensate for decreased diode intensity/change in spectrum.
Only thing with the noopsyche is I've herd about them censoring bad reviews in their facebook group which I think is a bit sketchy. The radion's are only a year old and not sure on the kessils age. I guess another option could be a t5 hybird fixture since it's in the same price range, and hmm I never would have thought about that, thats something I guess I need to consider as well. Maybe the t5 is my best option then

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
My vote is kessil I have the 350, 360we and 360x and kessil makes a good light.
I use to have a 125 gallon and I ran 3 x 360we and I got good growth. In the future if you want to add another light you can.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I’m not really sure about the Kessell’s but t5 hybrids always seem to be a solid choice good growth and total coverage with the t5s.
What I seem to always look back on is what are aquaculture facilities are using.
I mean they are the pros what are they using. Most answers point to Radion that’s what most use.
Hey I run old ass hydras and Vegas and my corals do great.
If I was to buy new it would be Radion plenty of power and a nice spread.

Just one thing to consider: BRS has said that MH lamps will be discontinued by the end of the year. Any word when the same will happen to T5 bulbs?
Great question. Never really considered them phasing the T-5 out, but of course they will someday. I better stock up bulbs lol. I simply love them. Coverage is so complete.

Humblefish

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Great question. Never really considered them phasing the T-5 out, but of course they will someday. I better stock up bulbs lol. I simply love them. Coverage is so complete.

Same here. Best tank I ever owned had MH (20K Radiums) + VHOs as supplemental lighting. I LOVED the look of that tank, and have never been able to grow corals (and especially clams) like that since. Miss the colors too. LEDs make everything look dull IMO.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Just one thing to consider: BRS has said that MH lamps will be discontinued by the end of the year. Any word when the same will happen to T5 bulbs?
I hope that doesnt happen, I can't run my tank without T5'S