• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting Issues

Light Cylce and Possible Heat Issues
I bought another light for my tank. Its the exact same light i had on there13 watt PC on a 5.5 gallon tank. I can fit two of them on. So i am trying it out. Here is my light cycle now and my light cycle with the new bulb. I wanted to get some feedback on how it sounds and some issues i could come across with heat from the bulbs.

My Light Cycle now is:

9 Watt PC Bulb on Refugium goes on at 7:30AM and turns off at 3:30PM

13 Watt PC Bulb Actinic and Cool White goes on at 8:00AM and off at 3:00PM

New Light Cycle

9 Watt PC Bulb on Refugium goes on at 7:30AM and turns off at 3:30PM

13 Watt PC Bulb Actinic and Cool White goes on at 8:00AM and off at 2:45PM

Other 13 Watt PC Actinic and Cool White goes on at 10:00AM and goes off at 2:15PM

Is this a good light cycle? Do you guys have any others suggestions on light cycles?

Also I have a window Air Conditioner in the room keeping the room at around 70 degrees. Do you think the addition of the Bulb will add too much heat to the tank?

Also should i wait till saturday to try out the new light in case of heat issues or is it nothing to worry about?

If you guys need ill get some pics on friday... Any help or suggestions are welcome...

how about running the refugium bulb at night when all the display lights are off. This will help balance out the heat and pH levels in your tank.

I tried that but only one problem the fuge hands on the back of the tank.... At night the light shines in the tank..... No sleepy for me or the clown

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't think that you would have any heat issues especially with the AC running.

I used to have a ten gallon with 80 watts of pc running on it. I would think your biggest concern would be constant temperature. As long as there aren't any big swings from day to night you should be fine. I usually check to see what the temp is right before the lights go out and then set my heater to that temperature. This way there is no swing.