• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting not working

The right Metal Halide won't fire up.

It's not the Ballast because I switched them and both ballasts with work with the left side but niether will work with the right side.

I opened the lighing case and with a towel removed the bulb and put it back in and it still doesn't work.

It is a brand new fixture with 4 t5s 2 250watt MH's ... OuterOrbit Pro Fixture.

Anyone have any idea as to what it could be?

Subliminal

NJRC Member
This is probably a stupid question, but did you swap the bulbs and make sure they both worked?

Other than that, maybe pull it apart and check wiring. Have a volt meter?

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Sounds like a bad bulb. Who did you get it from? I say call them. Stupid question but are you trying to fire a hot bulb. U normally have to wait for the bulb and ballest to cool down before they will work.

I will try switching the bulbs now .. don't think that was stupid at all .. I should have tried it first.

And no the bulbs we're cool .. actually brand new so as far as I know they were never on until I tried today.

I'll let you know what happens.

It wasn't the bulb. I switched them and the left side fired up again and the right one didn't do anything.

As far as pulling the thing apart and checking wiring, I'm not sure I'm good at that sort of thing. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Well, considering it's brand new, I'd probably just return it, swap it out, whatever. I'm sure you paid a pretty penny for it anyhow.

If it is part of a fixture, are there any fans that must be turned on in order for a light to be alowed to work? Is it a double-ended or a mogul base? It might be that the contacts between bulb and the socket is not established in which case you might be able to bend the contact surfaces slightly so they connect with the bulb. Just make sure it is completely disconnected from the power and not just turned off :)

Thanks everyone .. I found the problem ... I took apart the fixture and found out that one of the wires isn't connected .. It looks like it has to be soldered though. Anyone know how to use a soldering iron??

I don't know what to do.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Soldering is really easy..as long as you have wire strippers, a soldering gun/iron, and some solder...oh, and good lighting...grin.

Or you can just get a wire tie or a butt connector. Not quite as good as solder, but you'd probably never notice the difference.

You know the type..the little cone shaped yellow guys that you strip the ends of the two wires, twist them together, and then twist the yellow guy on that.

The end of the wire has to be soldered to the metal that touches the end of the bulb.

I have a friend who is a carpenter. Hopefully he can help ... I can't imagine packing this thing up and sending it back and then waiting for them to recieve it just to deliver another one.

If you happen to have a small pair of alligator clips you can "test connect" it (make sure the clip doesn't touch anything else) to make sure that is the problem first before soldering it.

If you can't find anyone local to you to help, you know where I live. I'd be happy to help you fix it.

Carlo

OK .. I figured this is definatly the problem as I have just electricuted myself.

I'm ok .. just a small shock/zap .. I am however getting 2 radiostations from 2 serperate fillings in my teeth. lol.

I guess I'll have to sit and wait for my fried to help me solder this.

Thanks Carlo .. if my friend wasn't around I probably would have taken the drive.

NapoliNewJersey said:
Thanks everyone .. I found the problem ... I took apart the fixture and found out that one of the wires isn't connected .. It looks like it has to be soldered though. Anyone know how to use a soldering iron??

I don't know what to do.

Since you are asking how to do it, I would advise you not to do it yourself and to wait for your friend or someone who has experience with soldering since you will be fixing circuit that handles a lot of power and you don't want to burn your house. Cold joints can at those powers can create the sparc arc that would drive the voltage crazy which could dmage more then just your bulb and balast.

If, on the other hand, you still have a great itch to do it yourself, here are few places you can learn a bit about it (first one is really cool and practical video specially for beginners):

http://blip.tv/file/126631
http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm
http://www.mediacollege.com/misc/solder/

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
i would send it back. usually these things have warrenties. The last thing you need is to have problems in the future.

NapoliNewJersey said:
OK .. I figured this is definatly the problem as I have just electricuted myself.

You can only electricute yourself once because that means you died.

You got a shock. :)

Either way, glad you're OK!

Carlo

Just wanted to thank Jack/treadingwater for helping me with the lighting problem .. we met at Aquatic Obsessions and Will let us use his store to fix my light .. Jack soldered the wire to the metal conection piece and the light is working great. I got to see my tank in full lighting ... it's a little yellow so I think I'm going to up the 10,000 K bulbs to 12,000 K reeflux on Phyl, Bill, and MikeM's recomendations.

Anyway thanks Jack .. you saved me at least three weeks of waiting for new lighting and packing boxes that my lighting came in and so on.