• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting opinions needed

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I would go with the sunpower, but find the dimmable one. http://www.marinedepot.com/ATI_48_I...ight_Fixtures-ATI-UZ3313-FILTFIT58U-4-vi.html

SPS grows very well under T5s without the heat and powerdraw of the halides. Granted you will give up some color potential of some SPS corals (there are a few SPS out there that look their best when being blasted with halides or LEDs) but overall your corals will be fine. I have the dimmable Sunpower over my frag tank and love the fixture.

6 Bulb T5 Hands down

My Reasons.

1. Haven't used metal halide in a while but there are not really many popular bulbs in the 175 Watt Range. If you were doing the metalhalide then I would want the 250w RADIUMS or PHOENIX's.

2. That adds heat and in a 75 just too much heat.

3. The ATI is cheaper and I trust their quality control better than the CEBU's.

4. You can probably get the ATI SUPER CHEAP by e-mailing ATI and asking for a scratch and dent fixture or get added to a waiting list for the scratch and dent fixture and get it at over 50% off. I got my DIMMABLE SUNPOWER (8 Bulb) for 425 bucks and they gave me 15% off since I ordered bulbs at the same time.

5. The 6bulb will be even dispersed lighting enabling you to keep everything. If you luck into a dimmable sunpower then you get that Dusk/Dawn effect. You can also Retro EcoXotic Stunners on the RIDGE outside the bulbs to add a sick little LED shimmer or night time lighting.

Hope that helps.

For the Record... if Heat - Energy and Cost wasn't a factor. I would be running 400w Radium Bulbs on M80 Magnetic Ballasts with ACTINIC 110w VHO's

Dimmable..

You do not need the dimmable sunpower. Its NICE.. but you don't NEED it. As a matter of fact its not good to start DIMMING your bulbs until you have put at least 100 hours on them. Dimming the bulbs also decreases their lifespan if I read correctly. I have the ability to do it...and I DO but next bulb changes I probably won't as I did see a decrease in lifespan from my bulbs this time around.

Thanks guys. I was a bit worried about the heat from the halides. Energy and cost is a factor for me as well. The dimmable T5s look pretty sweet. I had no idea about the scratch and dent. Does the scratch and dent still come with the warranty?

Yep. - There is nothing ever internally wrong with the light. They are factory seconds. Mine had a 1" long barely able to catch on a fingernail scratch on the TOP near the plug. They usually send you pictures of the scratch and dents before you buy it. I had trouble finding it lol... To me the light looked brand new down to the plastic covering the reflectors and acrylic splash guard.

Do keep an eye on heat with the T5's as well. It won't be as bad but I found myself having to run the A/C in the house way more often then I wanted and still often had to keep the tank at 81* because of the t5. There were also times when my temps would max at 83-84 if I forgot to put the air on or forgot to turn it down during the day.

Do keep an eye on best with the T5's as well. It won't be as bad but I found myself having to run the A/C in the house way more often then I wanted and still often had to keep the tank at 81* because of the t5. There were also times when my temps would max at 83-84 if I forgot to put the air on or forgot to turn it down during the day.

Will do. Thanks John.

Reef Geek also has some scratch and dent units on occasion. I'd email them and see what they say. If they don't have what you are looking for they may offer you a deal on something new. ;)

In a 75 with 18" front to back and an overflow probably in the middle of the tank taking up another 6/7" the t5 is most evenly covering the tank. The ATI's ale reflectors direct light straight down which means he can hang the lights higher than someone with a deeper tank. This is because his rock work would probably be on the back wall and high up. The combination of high hung light and rock work, he shouldn't have too much problem with heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed 6bulbs will be great coverage. ATI is good brand. Heat is not terrible, much better than MH, little worse than LED but I never had issues. My lights have always hung open no canopy. Good advice from everyone.

You can't go wrong with either. If it was me, I'd do the MH/T5 with 175w 6500k Iwasakis, and on the T5s with one 10k and three actinics. It's all preference.

I love my 8x54w. I thought about switching back to LEDs but in the end it wasn't worth it. As far as color goes, I've noticed better color with LEDs but that's probably bc my corals were used to LEDs. Every t5 and mh raised coral that I have acquired since the switch looks amazing.

I've decided to go with the six bulb Sunpower.
For bulbs, I'm thinking:
Front to back
Blue+
Purple+
Blue+
GE 6500
Blue+
Blue+

Now I wait for Uncle Sam to give me my money!

That's a great combo... I tried out the coral plus and like it a lot as well... Really nice reds and blues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk