• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting question

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I currently have a 75g RR with a 30g sump. The lighting is 2 175w Mh with 2 VHO's. I only keep softies, shrooms and LPS. I was considering down grading the light to T5's. I was think of getting a 36" fixture to center in the canopy. The tank is 48". Does anyone see any potential problems with this down grade?

Thanks,
Mark

I thought about something similar for my new tank, but with LED lights. My sticking point would be that you loose some inches on either end of the light and perhaps don't get as good a coverage on the ends, meaning that the light wouldn't come in from the same angles. It is a good question I look forward to others responses.

I say go for it. You'll lose the shimmer but gain on the heat exchange and the longer life on the T5s. As mentioned, because you're looking at a 36" rather than a 48" fixture - you're going to lose some light on the ends of the tank(3" each side).

Were you using T5s before with the 55? (before you upgraded to the 75?).

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Phil,
Yes I was using 48" fixture which I traded away. The 3" I don't think is a big deal as I can put my shrooms, a Sun coral there or other low light coral in those spots.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
MAVL666 said:
I currently have a 75g RR with a 30g sump. The lighting is 2 175w Mh with 2 VHO's. I only keep softies, shrooms and LPS. I was considering down grading the light to T5's. I was think of getting a 36" fixture to center in the canopy. The tank is 48". Does anyone see any potential problems with this down grade?

Thanks,
Mark
If your going to put the 36" light in a canopy you can get a retro kit and you won't loose any light from the sides like you would with a fixture.

Well I've always been a metal halide kind of guy so removing MH's fro flourescents of any kind rubs me the wrong way, but, with the corals you are keeping, I don't think you'll be hurting except for 6" on each side which will be semi-dark (so to speak). But as you said, you can put mushrooms there (which probably turn brown) or low light corals. If you do put in a Tubastraea in just remember that they require special attention in feeding to insure that all heads are fed, but it would be a perfect coral for a dark spot and would retain it's color.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I found 30" T5 kits with two 18w bulbs per kit. I was thinking of getting 3 kits for a total of 108 watts. Would this be enough light?