• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting Recommendation for a 140G Oceanic

Recently I have purchase a 140G Oceanic.
Here is the dimension of the tank:
L 48.5 x W 24.5 x H 29

I've been contemplating which lights to buy or what would be appropiated for this tank. Just picking your brain to see if we have similiar thoughts.

Before you make a expert suggestion, here are three things to consider.
1) This will be an all mix reef, softies, LPS but a greater amout of SPS.
2) Do not want metal halides
3) I have a canopy.

I been looking at the PFO Solaris $2700 and the Aquactinics Constellation $840 which I had previously on a 90 Gallon. Price is important to me, I think $2700 is too much. I am open for your feedback.

Thank you

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sam has a solaris and is selling off his tanks. If he's parting with it that might be an answer (though there's a good chance it is only 3'). The one thing that I don't like about the solaris is that you can see the columns of light (because it seems to drop straight down and there are banks of light with spans of black where there are no bulbs in between). I don't particularly care for the look of the columns of light that penetrate the water. Make sure to see one in person before you adopt that approach. For the money you want to be really happy with it before you leap. That said, the people who have them seem happy enough with them.

I'm not sure about the Constellation as I don't have any experience with that fixture in particular, but I'd go with the T5s.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I have a 8x54 T-5 set up on my 120 and love it.
I keep SPS on the bottom with no problems,my tank is only 24" deep so you could do middle and top for the SPS.

You have a tank that is 29 inches high and you want to keep SPS corals.

The Aquatinics fixture you are looking at has seven 54w T5 lamps, or about 378w of light. That's a bit marginal for SPS corals. It would work though, if you kept up with bulb replacements, and put your SPS corals toward the top of the tank.

As you pointed out the PFO Solaris LED lighting is out of sight expensive.

I know you said you don't want MHs, but two 250w MHs, and optionally supplemental actinics, are really your best choice for SPS corals. They would be about the same price as the T5's, and far less expensive than the Solaris.

malulu

NJRC Member
i already checked with Sam about his solaris on Satureday, he said he will kept them. (not for sale at that time...)
::)

you may try to use T5.
or T8 (i think blange3 have it, you want may to check with him to see the look and feel).

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Have you considered a VHO setup (T12 bulbs)? You can put 6 x 46.5" VHOs. Rated at 110 Watts each that should give you plenty of light for the tank.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I put 8 48inch t5s on my 265 right next to a 400 watt MH. I think the 8t5s are brighter. but you don't get the shimmer.

malulu said:
you may try to use T5.
or T8 (i think blange3 have it, you want may to check with him to see the look and feel).

I have the T12 VHO's and only keep easy SPS in the top 8" of the tank.

Since you want to keep more SPS than the others I would go with T5's overdriven with IceCap ballasts and don't forget the fans. Of course once you need fans, in my mind you might as well go halide and you won't have to worry about placing your SPS corals too deep in the tank.

My notorious preference for VHO's matches my preference for LPS corals and more shallow tanks. And you can't beat VHO colors! ;) (This is my disclaimer for those who fellof their chairs when I recommended using halides.) ;D

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
blange3 said:
And you can't beat VHO colors! ;) (This is my disclaimer for those who fellof their chairs when I recommended using halides.) ;D

I'd like to compare vhos to t5s on the same tank. Any way you could bring a VHO light to ralphs? I have a 4 bulb t5 fixutre I can bring with some of these new german bulbs. ATI and Giesmann. Ralph's maybe a little crazy with PA stuff maybe we can do it another meeting. but it would cool to compare side by side.

Edward771 said:
blange3 said:
And you can't beat VHO colors! ;) (This is my disclaimer for those who fellof their chairs when I recommended using halides.) ;D

I'd like to compare vhos to t5s on the same tank. Any way you could bring a VHO light to ralphs? I have a 4 bulb t5 fixutre I can bring with some of these new german bulbs. ATI and Giesmann. Ralph's maybe a little crazy with PA stuff maybe we can do it another meeting. but it would cool to compare side by side.

That's a great idea Ed, but a bad time at the moment. I will be able bring a 4ft VHO setup after I do my 180 upgrade as I will be shutting down my 55. Hopefully by September.

I wish we can do a comparison sooner! Anyway, I am so glad I posted this thread to hear your opinion. I have not set my 140G Oceanic yet, I'm trying to carefully plan this setup, you know do it right! So I don't have my wife complaining on and on, spending selling or trading! LOL That is why I am going to leave the lights for last. My concerns is not the heat generated but more the electricity. We already gettting hit with gasoline at a 35% increase in the past year...ouch. I like this brainstorming here, I've already ruled out the PFO Solaris, because the technology is still new, not proven, costly and I've notice many are selling there PFO solaris and taking a big lost.

I'm looking at these t5 systems, maybe we can have a poll to see what you think about these lights.
1) 48" Aquactinics Constellation
2) Aquactinics Solar Flare
3) Giesemann Matrix 8 x 54
4) AquaPhoton Photon Linea 6 x 54W T5 HO System