• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting schedule question

Hey Guys,

This may sound like a silly question, but I have to know if I am somehow doing something incorrectly.

The other day I was over a buddy's house well a house he's watching over in Cults Neck (mere $2.4m). The house was insane and it had an in wall tank that I think was about 120g. The funny thing was, when we got there the lights were off. When I asked our friends they mentioned that they usually go on around 8:00 and stay on all night.

I would have thrown it off as the owner had done it incorrectly, but he said that was setup by a professional aquarium service. They come weekly and clean the tank, do WC's, etc.

Is their some type of theory on allowing the tank to get indirect light during the day and then at night the lights go on?

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I do that in the summer cause its hotter during the day. And I dont' have a chiller. This reminds me its time to change the Aqua Controller to make them come on later.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
As long as there is some photo period, it doesn't matter when it is. We turn our MH on at like 5 pm or later depending on many factors. My 12g I turn on in the morning because heat and evaporation are not issues.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It maybe the owners preference, working during the day and enjoying the tank at night.

Bob

Since there is nobody at the house during the day, my light cycle starts at 3pm and ends a little after 11pm. Would rather look at it and get the "ooohs" and "aaahhs" from visitors in the eve.

Thanks guys! So, indirect sunlight/lighted room, with the T5's off, is still considered a lights-out period?

It would be great to have the lights on from 3PM till 11PM, but I figured this would cause problems since the room has natural sunlight after 6AM or so.

I'm guessing that I would need to slowly change the lighting schedule over the next few weeks? I currently run 9am to 8pm.