• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lights close to water level

If you had to mount lights close to the water level (several inches off the water) due to the canopy, which lights would you use and why?

It depends on which lights. Something like a self encapsulated light (like and LED, i wouldnt mind being closer. For things that potentially expose the wiring as well as the potential of direct splashing of a heat producing item, like a T5, i would want a little more clearance (rapidly cooling issue). I have T5s 8 inches above my water and I would be comfortable having them as little as 6'sih.

What type of LED would you recommend? The tank is 24” tall but I’m worried about the lights being too focused lower in the tank with LEDs being mounted so close.

What type of LED would you recommend? The tank is 24” tall but I’m worried about the lights being too focused lower in the tank with LEDs being mounted so close.
Depends on your budget. If you are looking for a pretty darn good light but cheap, I would actually take a look at the NooPsyches. The controller is janky but dollar for dollar, I think they are the best lights you are going to find in LED land. If you want tried and True, go Radions. The G5s are on sale because of the G6s coming out and BRS do an entire BRS investigates on the par at the various depths of the tank and what is the optimal mounting height for them.