• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lights

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
During the meeting it was pointed out one of the led bulbs burnt out on a fixture. don't think its worth trying to replace so looking at getting new lights. Any thoughts on brands out there?

EZreefin

NJRC Member
It all depends on the Budget. I just picked up 2 100 watt Nicrew from Amazon with the controller for my 40 gallon breeder. The lights were $150 each and the controller was around $45 bucks. I tested the Par levels and was really impressed. I only have them at 55% blue and 25% white at peak hrs. And getting a little over 100 par on sand bed. I also seen some good reviews on them. You can stop by and check them out if you want in person. I live like 15-20 min away from you. They also make a 150 watt version the has 3 pucks for about $200 each. The controller also lets you set your own light schedule . It ramps up and down to mimic sun rise and sun set.. can't go wrong if on a budget with them.

EZreefin

NJRC Member
I actually have the whites at 35 percent. Sorry just noticed as I was looking at the controller. I still have to do wire management yet. I was doing all my tests on them to see how they actually work. They also come with an arm that mounts on the back. For about $8 you can buy the hanging cables that come separate, if you want to mount them from above like I did.

Attachments

• PXL_20240413_222055561.jpg
    PXL_20240413_222055561.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20240413_222100610.jpg
    PXL_20240413_222100610.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20240413_222117748.jpg
    PXL_20240413_222117748.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20240413_222132666.jpg
    PXL_20240413_222132666.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
It all depends on the Budget. I just picked up 2 100 watt Nicrew from Amazon with the controller for my 40 gallon breeder. The lights were $150 each and the controller was around $45 bucks. I tested the Par levels and was really impressed. I only have them at 55% blue and 25% white at peak hrs. And getting a little over 100 par on sand bed. I also seen some good reviews on them. You can stop by and check them out if you want in person. I live like 15-20 min away from you. They also make a 150 watt version the has 3 pucks for about $200 each. The controller also lets you set your own light schedule . It ramps up and down to mimic sun rise and sun set.. can't go wrong if on a budget with them.
I saw those on Amazon. Good to know.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have a question about going with lights with a controller and no app or a light with an app to control.

What are pros cons?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I am considering these.

PopBloom RL90 200W Aquarium LED Reef Light with Smart-APP Control Dimmable Marine LED Lighting for 36inch 48inch Saltwater Coral Fish Tanks​

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have a question about going with lights with a controller and no app or a light with an app to control.

What are pros cons?
When you run lights on a program. The fish will get use to it.
They will start going to sleep. In my tank the lights dim slowly following the sun/moon cycle. I also like the transition. My tank looks different during the day with white light and at night it’s a dark blue

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The Hiparagero had great reviews and claims to have a ramp up/down mode besides customizing on the panel.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I reached out to the company and the Higar lights cannot be controlled via an app just the remote. Any thoughts?