• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Little bit of a rant.... Whats your take on this?

Should AskBRS be a public platform for answering Q's?

• Yes, everyone should be able to answer

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No, maybe only verified people can answer

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
Happy Saturday, as i scroll through my feeds on socials and forums sipping coffee. I am yet shown how belittling people can be in our hobby. It upsets me.
A simple question can turn into the most vicious battle between hobbyist AKA Keyboard warriors. Has me shaking my head often. A little too often.

Don't get me wrong here. I have seen some helpful advice on there. Particularly when a BRS admin answers the question first.
I also don't want to single out the BRS page as other pages i have been a part of i have seen similar behavior. Just BRS pops up on my feed the most and usually with some asinine answers or someone making the OP feel bad about their reef keeping endeavor.

My question really is:
Do you think FB pages like AskBRS are harmful to the newcomers in the hobby? Should there be filtered responses on questions asked on pages like this?

It puts a sour taste in my mouth when i read some comments as im sure it does for a newcomer just asking about simply how to deal with cyano. I know better at this point, but do new hobbyist realize this too?

Just had to vent for a second.

//end rant.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I don't follow BRS, but am a member of several FB groups. A coupe I won't post on at all because of all the 'know it all's'. It bothers me too that there are so many misinformed 'experts' on beginner groups. Administrators not doing their job, posts and links totally unrelated to reefing etc. These are the main reason's I joined this club and constantly recommend people join a reef club- local support, useful information and recommendations, friends, cheap and free stuff with no judgements or attitude

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
I don't follow BRS, but am a member of several FB groups. A coupe I won't post on at all because of all the 'know it all's'. It bothers me too that there are so many misinformed 'experts' on beginner groups. Administrators not doing their job, posts and links totally unrelated to reefing etc. These are the main reason's I joined this club and constantly recommend people join a reef club- local support, useful information and recommendations, friends, cheap and free stuff with no judgements or attitude
Yes, this x100. Im still pretty new here to the forum. I was looking for refuge of all the negativity on FB. I also wanted to get more involved in our local reefing community. I honestly feel like ive been here forever. Its such a better place to talk shop and share our experiences.
Its crazy out there...

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
Agree with you completely, and welcome to njreefers btw. I'm on a bunch of forums; cars, motorcycles, bicycles and aquariums. It's the same on every one, even here occasionally. If you're going to be on the internet you need a thick skin.
Thanks buddy. Love that quote btw lol. Its exactly what it is! Disrespect! ugh.

I honestly dont care. I dont feel a need to get upset because some miserable SOB needs to make his/her/its jollies by feeling superior to others. Just as I dont feel the need to answer questions or provide my opinions on people unable to do the most basic of research because asking a question from others. I honestly dont care about people feeling butt hurt over a curt response..nor do i feel empathy for someone who feels butt hurt for a response not directed at them. In short..i dont care either way.

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
I honestly dont care. I dont feel a need to get upset because some miserable SOB needs to make his/her/its jollies by feeling superior to others. Just as I dont feel the need to answer questions or provide my opinions on people unable to do the most basic of research because asking a question from others. I honestly dont care about people feeling butt hurt over a curt response..nor do i feel empathy for someone who feels butt hurt for a response not directed at them. In short..i dont care either way.
I respect that.