• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Little sad today

I came home from work last night to find a seahorse caught in the power head flopping around like a baseball card in a bicycle wheel. This is the 2nd time this has happened in a month (lost one 2 weeks ago)
Any suggestions on how to stop this from happening, I was thinking of pantyhose to cover the problem area , the front will remain open of course,, I’m only worried about food particles and seahorse poop along with other tank crap will clog the flow and hamper the quality of my water
Looking for advice my Reef Peeps

Paulie what you do for the ponies is above and beyond and don’t beat you self up about it. No one tries harder.
I would try the pantyhose but it definitely will clog maybe it could be changed every two weeks? Or perhaps the 3D printing guys can make a guard like an anemone guard - would that help?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Sea horses should be keep in a closed loop tank with no power heads. That what I would do. If you need a power head I would get one that comes with anemone guard The Nero 3 or 5 pump comes with this guard build in. If you have ecotech they also make a guard to protect small animals

Last edited:

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Agreed with amado need to push more out of returns to limit powerheads. Sorry for your loss

If a close loop is not possible then. Replacing the return nozzle to a random flow nozzle can also help resolve this for $20

Paulie what you do for the ponies is above and beyond and don’t beat you self up about it. No one tries harder.
I would try the pantyhose but it definitely will clog maybe it could be changed every two weeks? Or perhaps the 3D printing guys can make a guard like an anemone guard - would that help?
Good thought

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
It’s not return pumps or nozzle it’s the fan blowing and moving water around

I understand that. My point is there shouldn’t be a fan moving water around.
1) You should build a tank with a
close loop. Best case
2) you can replace your return nozzle with a random flow nozzle
3) you get a fan that come with a guard
Nero 3 or 5

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Seahorses in general are not very strong swimmers. The pump maybe too strong for the seahorses to swim away from.

The WaveMaker or pump (using a gyre as an example) draws in water to push it out....causing a wave. That drawing in, is whats causing the seahorses to sucked in.
maxspect-gyre-flow.jpg

Like mentioned, the best thing to do would be either:

A. Lower the pump speed and add either a mesh covering or a plastic guard
B. Completely eliminate the WaveMaker and maybe just get a stronger return pump to make up for lost flow.

With the folks using 3d printers, maybe someone can make up a guard for you.

I understand that. My point is there shouldn’t be a fan moving water around.
1) You should build a tank with a
close loop. Best case
2) you can replace your return nozzle with a random flow nozzle
3) you get a fan that come with a guard
Nero 3 or 5
Like option number 3

Seahorses in general are not very strong swimmers. The pump maybe too strong for the seahorses to swim away from.

The WaveMaker or pump (using a gyre as an example) draws in water to push it out....causing a wave. That drawing in, is whats causing the seahorses to sucked in.
View attachment 32148

Like mentioned, the best thing to do would be either:

A. Lower the pump speed and add either a mesh covering or a plastic guard
B. Completely eliminate the WaveMaker and maybe just get a stronger return pump to make up for lost flow.

With the folks using 3d printers, maybe someone can make up a guard for you.
Great input, gives me choices/options
Thank you

Agree with @amado but not with the nero. Lost 3 fish with the nero. Also agree with @Avrohom 3d printed guards. Yes you'll need to clean them but its worth it in the long run.

Found my tang one morning stuck on my Nero (not on full blast, maybe 30%). Later in the week it died.. i thought maybe the fish was sick.. i bought a new tang & he got stuck also. This was in December of 2019, he is still alive! So it probably wasn't that he was sick it was the Nero., yes they now have 3D guards for the Nero. Im not sure if they come with them now.20191205_180130.jpg

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I’m so sorry for your loss Paulie. I agree you go above and beyond for your ponies. I also agree that a 3D printed guard would be a good project for the guys with printer in the group.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Agree with @amado but not with the nero. Lost 3 fish with the nero. Also agree with @Avrohom 3d printed guards. Yes you'll need to clean them but its worth it in the long run.

Found my tang one morning stuck on my Nero (not on full blast, maybe 30%). Later in the week it died.. i thought maybe the fish was sick.. i bought a new tang & he got stuck also. This was in December of 2019, he is still alive! So it probably wasn't that he was sick it was the Nero., yes they now have 3D guards for the Nero. Im not sure if they come with them now.View attachment 32149

The new Nero comes with a nem guard you have a old Nero. In my opinion that tang was already sick. They are strong swimmers and there is no way a healthy tang gets killed by a wave maker.

Tangs swim all day in strong currents.
I have two gyres going full 6k gallons on each and the tangs don’t care.

Last edited:
I’m so sorry for your loss Paulie. I agree you go above and beyond for your ponies. I also agree that a 3D printed guard would be a good project for the guys with printer in the group.
Thank you and I’ll look into a 3D gimmick or buy power head with one already on it
Time for new one anyway ,, just gotta look around for affordable price

@amado thats what I thought but my last tang (that was stuck) is still alive & this happened in December. Stuck the same way. Coincidence, nah. Tangs I have are tiny (1 1/2 at most) I'm sure when he gets larger he'll be a stronger swimmer. Kind of like a regular 1st grader going against a college man on a foot race. Yes agreed they are strong swimmers but I think the Nero for a young fish or weak swimmer might be a bitt much & we are talking about his pride & joy, @Paulie 069 's babies.

Jebao sells a less expensive model & different sizes (check Amazon) but then u can just get the guards from 1 of the 3 guys here that have 3D printers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201022-150025_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20201022-150025_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    583.7 KB · Views: 1