• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Live rock or dirty filter media.

Hi all. Just starting back into the salt end of the hobby again and am looking to see if anyone down south has something for free or not crazy expensive, that I can use to seed my tank. Thanks.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I throw out dirty filter floss twice a week. You're welcome to it.
Location is Lakewood.

Where are you located? If I get routed into your area this week for work I can bring some dirty filter media out of my sump and you can meet up with me.

I get down that way once in awhile for work but I never know until the day before. If I get routed there at all I'll pm you I'd love to help you out if i can.

save the hassle and just buy a bottle of biospira or dr tims. no disrespect to anyone here but just putting something in your tank from someone else's tank is too risky IMHO.

save the hassle and just buy a bottle of biospira or dr tims. no disrespect to anyone here but just putting something in your tank from someone else's tank is too risky IMHO.
Honestly I completely agree with you. I used turbostart 900 and caribsea life rock to start my current tank for that exact reason.

yeah any of thse are good to jump your tank, then after that get microbacter 7 or seachem stability or whatever bacteria in a bottle you like. dont over do it and make sure you have a lot of flow or aeration cause you can end up nuking your tank with it

i have a tank that i throw anything in, its a mess. half dead corals, nems exploding, fish swimming around wondering when the nuclear apocalypse is going to end. then i have my real tank and nothing goes in there without a super long qt

LOL

My lfs told me to add stress zyme. Don't know how well it will work. That's what I have right now. Just wanted to jump start the cycle a little faster.

I've never used stress zyme personally. Maybe someone else with more experience can chime in on that one. Turbostart 900 let's u add fish day 1 according to the instructions. My experience with turbostart was great. I overdosed it and added two clowns the same day. Tested ammonia daily and never registered anything on my red sea test kit. I had nitrites on day 2 and nitrates on day 4. Day 17 nitrites were gone and never came back. I wasn't a believer of bottled bac before but I am now.

i regularly use bio spira. i used dr tims last time and it worked fine, but it is more expensive. i have heard stability works from a lot of people so i just bought a gallon. i had a $25 discount from buying from marine depot! woot woot!

i regularly use bio spira. i used dr tims last time and it worked fine, but it is more expensive. i have heard stability works from a lot of people so i just bought a gallon. i had a $25 discount from buying from marine depot! woot woot!
Stopped by the lfs and just picked up bio Spira. Should be good to go now??

biospira is also my go to for instantly cycling a tank - will 100% give your tank a kick - shut off skimmer, remove carbon etc etc. there are many other brands that do it. but in discussion and reading and thought, we have a member whose tank is 50 years old. this tank is the goal of many of us here, a mature biofilter. i think and i know im not alone, that dosing everyday with something like stability or whatever will have long term positive effects on your tank. it turns out that the "good" bacteria grows very slowly and the "bad" bacteria grows very quickly. something to consider if you wanted to add something everyday, that will assist in your long term goals. imo biospira definitely too expensive to add everyday - i use it only when im starting a new tank or qt