• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Live rock outside 4 a few minutes!?

What is the longest you would be comfortable leaving 60% out of the rocks out of the water?
I need to remove some Zoanthids in my biggest and main pieces of rock.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

During long frag sessions rocks have been out for 30 minutes. If it’s true live rock most of the water is on the inside with the bacteria
I don’t think it’s going to take that long (30) but I hope you are right that the bacteria inside is going to be okay!! Although it probably will go trough a circle anyway
Thanks

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
When you order live rock on line or buy it in a store it's not in water and all the bacteria doesn't die off.

Bot587

NJRC Member
So I understand…

you are saying 60% of your rock will be out of water. What duration will this be ok for?

My long frag sessions are 30 minutes with all rocks but baserock out for. If you have true live rock the majority of the rock surface area is internal not external the bacteria does not sit on the surface for nitrogen fixation. I think you would be fine for a couple hours without significant die off (this is assuming you’re going right back into the same aquarium which has remained unchanged during the duration).

A mini cycle occurs when your bacteria can’t handle the nitrogen fixation. Or you shock the system.

So I understand…

you are saying 60% of your rock will be out of water. What duration will this be ok for?

My long frag sessions are 30 minutes with all rocks but baserock out for. If you have true live rock the majority of the rock surface area is internal not external the bacteria does not sit on the surface for nitrogen fixation. I think you would be fine for a couple hours without significant die off (this is assuming you’re going right back into the same aquarium which has remained unchanged during the duration).

A mini cycle occurs when your bacteria can’t handle the nitrogen fixation. Or you shock the system.
Yeah in 15 minutes with a screwdriver I can get them out, this pandora zoas grow too much

So I understand…

Thanks ;)

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
When I used to scrub for vermetid snails, I used to have it out for 30 mins, occasionally dipping in a bucket of fresh salt water to help remove debris

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
During low tides, corals and rock in nature are out of the water for extended periods of time you are good.

Yes wear eye protection and gloves, zoanthid toxin can blind you.