• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Local species critter tank

I decided to take the kids down to Sandy Hook on Sunday and we had a blast collecting local critters from the salt marshes including glass shrimp, hermit crabs, and naked gobys. Since I had my quarantine tank running on empty for the past 2 months I decided to bring some home. I can’t stop looking at the tank! Has anybody else done something similar?

Attachments

• F9AFBAF5-14BA-4339-9843-D32B09EF5643.jpeg
    F9AFBAF5-14BA-4339-9843-D32B09EF5643.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 5AFB9526-BD7D-4560-8F18-A0A70808FD20.jpeg
    5AFB9526-BD7D-4560-8F18-A0A70808FD20.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 19

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Cool critters @Rockfish. The only thing I have brought home from Sandy Hook is sea water. I haven't done it since last November. I don't collect between Thanksgiving and Easter. It's too cold there. Carrying 5 gallon jugs across that long walk to the car in the cold isn't for me. I didn't resume collecting there this year due to the Covid pandemic

Cool critters @Rockfish. The only thing I have brought home from Sandy Hook is sea water. I haven't done it since last November. I don't collect between Thanksgiving and Easter. It's too cold there. Carrying 5 gallon jugs across that long walk to the car in the cold isn't for me. I didn't resume collecting there this year due to the Covid pandemic
I can happily hook you up with some ocean water I got 15 miles offshore just hit me up
Anything for you Diana
609-290-5252

I decided to take the kids down to Sandy Hook on Sunday and we had a blast collecting local critters from the salt marshes including glass shrimp, hermit crabs, and naked gobys. Since I had my quarantine tank running on empty for the past 2 months I decided to bring some home. I can’t stop looking at the tank! Has anybody else done something similar?
Very cool brother, I grew up around Sandy Hook, my wife and I had a 3 level townhouse on Shewsbury River by the big bridge. Was a sweet place,, out back door to dock with 27ft Silverton waiting for me, it was awesome, so mad I sold it I should have kept it, was paid off uggh if I could do it again I’d do it differently
Anyway I have an invert tank with all things I caught myself in the ocean and bay
3 sea cucumbers
2-3 small clams
1 bay scallop
1 small conch
Hand full nasirs snails
2 hermit crabs size of my fist
1 small mangrove snapper ( from Florida and no idea why it was in our bay)
4 seahorses ( have 34 all together)
Everything is a filter feeder or algae eater,, I’ve never had to clean up the tank just 5gal water change every 10 days with water I take out of my main tank. And it’s crystal clear,, the plant in pic I found in bay and sent it to Paul.B. and he still has it

Attachments

• 6CDBD498-EAB9-4515-9A41-FF2D7E3E8432.jpeg
    6CDBD498-EAB9-4515-9A41-FF2D7E3E8432.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 620F5DD4-9868-4D31-A0E2-7F9C1C67AFF0.jpeg
    620F5DD4-9868-4D31-A0E2-7F9C1C67AFF0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • D9BD62E9-D8B9-47F0-9997-66384EE03BDF.jpeg
    D9BD62E9-D8B9-47F0-9997-66384EE03BDF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Use to go to SH a lot but then after Super storm Sandy - the back bay areas changed. I'm glad to see that you found an area that shows the fauna has returned. When I used to visit we'd see dozens of hermit crabs and those temperate "nassarius" snails. The really cool thing we once caught in the area was a pair of blue crabs in the middle of procreation...the tide was outgoing and they were being pulled out in about 3 inches of water. Easy scoop. After some poking and prodding by the kids, we released them to procreate. :D

After superstorm sandy the dunes and other areas had been shifted/changed and the same fauna was no where to be found.

This time of year there is no fee to go in right?

Use to go to SH a lot but then after Super storm Sandy - the back bay areas changed. I'm glad to see that you found an area that shows the fauna has returned. When I used to visit we'd see dozens of hermit crabs and those temperate "nassarius" snails. The really cool thing we once caught in the area was a pair of blue crabs in the middle of procreation...the tide was outgoing and they were being pulled out in about 3 inches of water. Easy scoop. After some poking and prodding by the kids, we released them to procreate. :D

After superstorm sandy the dunes and other areas had been shifted/changed and the same fauna was no where to be found.

This time of year there is no fee to go in right?
Yup but I got all my inverts in Barnegat Bay

@Paulie 069 - Very cool. Let's see some pics of the Mangrove Snapper. I hear in late summer that tropical species including butterflies are sometimes caught after big tropical storms. Now that would be interesting!

@Hawkeye - There is no fee this time of year.

@Paulie 069 - Very cool. Let's see some pics of the Mangrove Snapper. I hear in late summer that tropical species including butterflies are sometimes caught after big tropical storms. Now that would be interesting!

@Hawkeye - There is no fee this time of year.
I had 2 yellow butterfly fish also caught in Barnegat Bay along with the mangrove but let em go they were showing signs of ick and I wasn’t taking chances,, this is one of my sea cucumbers

Attachments

• 01B46D0D-8507-4C3C-B6A6-A521A3FB8DF9.jpeg
    01B46D0D-8507-4C3C-B6A6-A521A3FB8DF9.jpeg
    724.8 KB · Views: 1
This is my conch he’s cool , saw him moving around today, he’s very slow I also caught him with everything else in my invert tank,, also my sea cucumbers are feeding and my bay scallop is always hungry and here is my snapper

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    953.7 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    812.9 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,000.7 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg