• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Logan13103's 28 gal bow reef

logan13103 said:
Got new T5's, they really make the colors pop. Can you tell a difference?
PC's
IMG_0037.jpg

T5's
IMG_0001_2.jpg

TOTALLY different tank!

What bulb combo are you using?

Thanks guys!
I'm using:
2X ATI Blue plus's
2X ATI 12000k Aquablue Specials
1X 6000k Giesemann Midday
Got the combo off reefcentral, everyone with T5's was going with about these temperatures at this ratio. And I heard far too many good things about ATI to not get them.
One of my disc corals appears to be bleaching, so I have the lights going on and off every few hours. :-\

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You're better off shortening the cycle, going 1/2 bulbs longer and all bulbs shorter or putting some mesh screen on the tank. Your corals/fish won't like the on/off thing too much. Occasional "cloud cover" isn't a bad thing, but you aren't going to want to thrust them into night time too often during the day. It will get their wake/feed/sleep cycles thrown off.

You're right. What about leaving the actinics on the current 12 hour setting and reducing the daylight to 5 hours and increasing it an hour a week?

logan13103 said:
You're right. What about leaving the actinics on the current 12 hour setting and reducing the daylight to 5 hours and increasing it an hour a week?

If you are going to do that I would go even more gradual than that and do 30 minutes each week. I have learned the hard way that the slower way it the better.

Ok, so with the reduced photoperiod the color already seems to be returning to the pink plate. Thanks for your help guys! Keeping my fingers crossed.

OK, so I went to the BIG frag swap, and only found another 11 frags to add to my tank. There was so much awesome livestock... I gotta get me a 210! Here are pics of a few of them...

Pocillopora
IMG_0001-3.jpg

IMG_0002-1.jpg

Pokerstar Monti
IMG_0004-1.jpg

Blastomussa ?Merletti?
IMG_0006-1.jpg

Big ole mixed zoa rock
IMG_0007-2.jpg

Palys
IMG_0010-1.jpg

Green Yuma and Red shroom
IMG_0005-2.jpg

Acans
IMG_0014-3.jpg

Blue shroom
IMG_0015-1.jpg

Any help with names is appreciated. I will post some pictures of the others when polyps open.
Special thanks to Boston Aqua Farms and Pacific East Aquaculture for taking the bulk of my money... ::)

Thanks for the comments guys. Figured I'd post a few updates.
New FTS
IMG_0002-2.jpg

Yes that is a tang, yes I know it's a 28 gal. I'm hoping he can help out with the caulerpa maintenance. I plan on getting a 220 eventaully but if that is not soon enough I'll be sure to find him a new, bigger, home. If he doesn't help I have been thinking about trying a LNS, such as open seas or adding prodibio to starve the caulerpa. And thanks to Will at AO for getting me a "tiny" tang.

I finally got a pink stylo
IMG_0020-2.jpg

IMG_0014-4.jpg

Duncans are looking great, I see a few new heads growing
IMG_0013-3.jpg

Acans
IMG_0003-3.jpg

Pocillopora
IMG_0002_2.jpg

Some new growth on my Acro. Makes me warm and fuzzy inside
IMG_0015-2.jpg

My pokerstar monti looks to be encrusting the top of the frag plug
IMG_0016-2.jpg

The clam is even hangin in there
IMG_0019-2.jpg

Blastos
IMG_0005-3.jpg

OMG it sux! For a while I seemed to have it under control, with the monthly pruning. But I think it's the beefed up lights. I am seriously contemplating a low nutrient system to starve it if the tang get help. I think the main problem is it crowding out coral. I should probably cut back on feedings to, but my nitrates and phos are undetectable.

Keep us posted.

I don't know if you saw my tank thread, but a couple weeks ago I rescaped. In the process I removed every trace of the evil Grape that I saw. I was sure there was no way I got every bit, but I tried anyway. Sadly, it is already showing itself in several spots :'(....

I suppose there are MANY worse things we could have to deal with in our tanks though. :-\

Algae sux :mad: but everything looks really beautiful ;D. Maybe the evil grapes are doing some good. Lights are really sweet so I guess you get some bad with the good.

Just an update, added a few more rics and encrusting monti's. Lost a clown for an unknown reason, but the other inhabitants are all healthy. Tang seems to be ignoring the caulerpa, so he's gonna be going into the new 90 gal Will from AqOb hooked me up with.
FTS0108.jpg

Blasto0108.jpg

Poc0108.jpg

Stylo0108.jpg

Acro0108.jpg

Acan0108.jpg