• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lookin for some boat stuff

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Figured I'd check here first.

Need a 50-90HP, 2 or 4 stroke, working.

Need a trailer for an 18-20' pontoon.

Any misc accessories.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Got a hell of a deal. We can mess about with it for a year or two and still sell it for what we got it for (perhaps even a small profit).
So this year is our 'test run'.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Few year's ago Jackie wanted to buy a boat and I just laughed at her. My cousin sold his and got another and took us out. Hit bad weather, he and his girlfriend got into a huge fight. We stuck on the boat a few hours. When we were done boating and I. The car Jackie told me she doesn't want one......lol

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
SO...
Got a first aid kit, fenders, lines (docking, accessory, fenders), portable toilet, whistle, emergency flag, pirate flag as is necessary, various mounts, airhorn, fishing rod holders, and a few more things.

Paid the summer fees for the dock and got the schedule of future charges. The boat isn't the money concern, all the extra crap is. But I did get a good deal, I think, at least I'm happy with it.

Did a bit of research through some boat sites and the boat is listed at the the top of Sea Magazine's pick of the week or whatever for used boats, which is odd as I picked her up only a few hours after the listing (but she did stay listed for a week while paperwork was done).

Owner was asking $13,900 but the salesman said he knew she wanted a quick sale. So, starting low and expecting to haggle up, I offered $9,000, hoping to negotiate to somewhere around 11, but she accepted the 9 (shoulda said 5 damnit).

Now I have to figure out all the boat crap. I was USCG but was aviation, only did the boat coxswain stuff in boot, so this is mostly new to me as my brain can't remember what I did yesterday, as opposed to training 35 years ago. Still, looking forward to this. :)

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 10.40.36 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-05-02 at 10.41.03 PM.png Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 10.41.01 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 10.41.01 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 10.41.01 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 12

horseplay

NJRC Member
You do need a boating safety card if you don't already have one. Otherwise good deal and kudos on sticking to the price you offered. It's a nice looking boat and looks like it's in good shape. Congrats. What's better than spending the day on water in the summer, especially with kids.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nice boat. Do you have an anchor, fire extinguisher, flares,dept finder and a throwable life preserver?
Why are you looking for a new motor?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Nice boat. Do you have an anchor, fire extinguisher, flares,dept finder and a throwable life preserver?
Why are you looking for a new motor?
You do need a boating safety card if you don't already have one.

Yep, got the basic required gear and am in the courses now. The current motor is only a 25hp, which seemed good enough during the sea trial, but we're talking about taking much longer costal trios in the future, so I'm thinking about upsizing a bit.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Got a premium insurance that includes tow coverage.
I remember my sis calling a tow a few years back but then she managed to get her boat moving again.
They charged her 50% as their boat had already left dock and it was still something like $200+

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Next meeting on Mark's boat!! I call first dibs !!

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Ha, all 9 of us.
I will, however, have a large float tank.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ha, all 9 of us.
I will, however, have a large float tank.
I can drive mine down and we can tie up to each other and have a meeting.
I would make sure you go with a yamaha replacement so you don't have to change a lot of other stuff too.