• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Looking for MP10WES Driver

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm figuring folks are upgrading to QD drivers and have their old drivers sitting around. Mine crapped out and noise isn't an issue since it's in the sump. Please let me know what you have. Thanks

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My guess is just the driver. I would have thought these things were a dime a dozen with the upgrades to QD. I won't know for sure until tomorrow, when I get a borrowed MP10 to use to diagnose the actual part that's crapped out. I could see if the dry side seized up, it could have fried the driver. But again, I'll know for sure tomorrow.

I'm also not convinced I have a "W", so I might only need an "ES". I have a query into Vortech Customer Service right now about what I have. The case has the "W" on it, but someone told me that if it is wireless, the "W" is lit by an LED. Mine was never lit.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul they all have a "W" on the case.

Only if the W glows bright blue is it wireless.

I have a driver that the motor sounds like a Diesel engine. If you in fact need a driver let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Got an older driver pre-ES upgrade. Its the older square one, obviously not wireless. If you can use it its yours.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
@Mark_C and @Fish Brain thank you for the response and offers.

I have found that it is definitely the driver that has crapped out. Plugged in a borrowed driver and it lit up, and the powerhead started spinning like normal.

Mark, you are very generous, but I'm going to hold out and hope to find the "newer" driver, and will consider your offer as a last resort. I also wonder if the power supply would work with a square driver. I tried plugging in the MP10 power supply to a "square" MP40 driver I had, and it didn't fit. The plug end was too big. But again, thank you for the offer.

Brian, I know you've read my rebuild thread showing my experience of replacing the bearings in an MP10. HERE is that thread....and once you get over the fear of cutting open this expensive piece of equipment, it's fairly easy.

Now if you don't wish to do this, I might be interested, so let me know what you want for this.

As far as the "W," I never saw mine lit, but then again, I never tried to use it wirelessly. Does the light come on regardless of running wireless or not, or only when you're running wireless? Interestingly the circuit board I have has and LED in the spot of the "W"......upper right hand corner, location #D25.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Vortech to verify the model I have, but from Brian's comments, it's sounding more like it is simply the ES model without the W.

Thanks again guys.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This is the RF module and mounts to those two black connectors in the top left of the board.

You can have the driver and I'll use the dry side as a test patient for the bearing swap, since I also have another motor that is staring to squeak like a mouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Brian, (@Fish Brain ) that would be fantastic! What do you need in the way of corals....I can bring them up to you. I have a ton of orange/red monti, purple monti, Downbeach Bird's nest, Pink Lemonade (if I can cut it), A green plating and branching thing with (I think} red background, teal montipora millepora....let me know. And when would be a good time....pretty much available anytime. Thanks.

The unknown branching/plating coral I'm talking about is the one closest to you. I also have that (I think) purple branching thing off to the upper right.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Now as far as the RF module and the wireless option, I get it. I don't have the RF modules. However, what I don't get is that Ecotech sells three upgrade kits:

MP10ES to MP10QD - $50 (Item # MP050)
MP10WES to MP10WQD - $50 (Item#MP051)
MP10WES to MP10WQD - $95 (Item #MP051_RF Module)

Looking at pictures of the boards HERE, both the 050 and 051 (without RF) have the slots there, and are empty. Maybe I'm slow......I don't get it??? Aren't they the same thing? If I wanted an upgrade for mine, which one do I buy? (I've asked this question to Ecotech, using the serial number off the one I have.)

If I'm not mistaken it's the RF module that make it wireless.
In the last one listed I'm betting there is a misprint and it should be a mp10es-mp10wqd.

Non wireless to wireless hence the extra cost

Actually not a mid print by them. It's a misprint by you Paul.

The one for $95 is a mp10es-mp10wqd as I stated above.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Good catch John.....you are correct, the $95 is for the ES to the WQD. However, I still don't understand the difference in the two 50 dollar options??? Unless you use the RF module on the old WES on the new WQD.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They are basically one in the same and just make it more confusing for people like you. :p