• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Looking for Xenia

Depending where in South Jersey you are, myrjon and raffle king have wonderful selections of Xenia and several other coral you may be interested in

I am going to reach out just having an issue and don't wanna add before I figure it out. Have some zoas in a huge cluster starting to dome they have been in the same spot for 3 months so I'm confused and it's only 5-7 out of the 60-70

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I'm perplexed by the xenia changes in the past few years.
A number of years back I started a xenia specific tank.
Not on purpose, I just liked Xenia and put a frag in.
It ripped through the tank over a few months, killing all in its wake, until it dominated.
Nothing but xenia, and most cool it was.
Kept it away from my main as I was aware, first hand, of its Conan attitude: Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.
You couldn't give xenia away.
Recently I entertained thoughts of another small xenia specific tank.
Small frags are going for $20-30?
It's like a garden center selling crabgrass, ivy, and rhododendrons for $100 a flat.
What gives?

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I'm perplexed by the xenia changes in the past few years.
A number of years back I started a xenia specific tank.
Not on purpose, I just liked Xenia and put a frag in.
It ripped through the tank over a few months, killing all in its wake, until it dominated.
Nothing but xenia, and most cool it was.
Kept it away from my main as I was aware, first hand, of its Conan attitude: Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.
You couldn't give xenia away.
Recently I entertained thoughts of another small xenia specific tank.
Small frags are going for $20-30?
It's like a garden center selling crabgrass, ivy, and rhododendrons for $100 a flat.
What gives?
I see where you're coming from, but xenia- along with gsp, kenya tree and some paly's are great beginner corals- they just have to be kept under control. Lfs gets what they can for them- I have no problem with that- it's business- I can't give gsp and kenya tree away- but would actually like some xenia- but like you won't pay for it ( I'm in Chester btw lol)

No offense, but garden centers don't sell weeds ( crabgrass) Ivy is sold in flats- usually around $40- some like it- for others is can become invasive ( i'm on the fence- right place, fine) Rhododendrons are never sold in flats, are non invasive and are sold as plants- and not cheap- anywhere from $20- to several hundred dollars depending on size- but I think you knew this

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I did. I mention rhododendrons as a personal hate. There were tons on my property and I ripped them all out 10 years ago. Every spring they're back :mad: