• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Losing all my corals

eholceker

NJRC Member
No slime, just literally melting and disappearing.

Never dosed flucanazole.

We did have all 6 of our children and 9 grandchildren over but, the issue had already been going on. The two year old and three year old did open the sump doors, but were caught pretty quickly and I looked the sump over pretty well and didn't find anything in there.

I changed all of this new filters, new membrane, new media, extra carbon, after Ida. I can give Will a call and see what he thinks.

When they melt are you seeing something like this?

Attachments

• post-13947-0-06819100-1357780474_thumb.jpg
    post-13947-0-06819100-1357780474_thumb.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 14

momof6kids

NJRC Member
The teal zoas have not been affected. The rock above it was covered in a gorgeous orange polyp. You can still see a few here and there. There was also a colony of mushrooms on that rock. There are a few of those left.

eholceker

NJRC Member
The teal zoas have not been affected. The rock above it was covered in a gorgeous orange polyp. You can still see a few here and there. There was also a colony of mushrooms on that rock. There are a few of those left.

Everything on that rock is done. Any chance you have microscope?

If your able, set up a quarantine system. Or give some corals to a friend to hold un the tank settles. Hopefully it balances out quickly. Remember NJ reefers are a great group of friends who will help you get your tank back to its former glory. Good luck

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Everything on that rock is done. Any chance you have microscope?
I do, if it still works. I actually homeschooled our 6 children and bought a real to goodness microscope. It is packed away in the attic. Will have to pull it out and see if it still works. What do you want me to do?

eholceker

NJRC Member
I do, if it still works. I actually homeschooled our 6 children and bought a real to goodness microscope. It is packed away in the attic. Will have to pull it out and see if it still works. What do you want me to do?

Take a look at one of those zoanthids with that dusting on it. See if you can identify a ciliaite called helicostoma. Looks like this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211024-194445_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-194445_Chrome.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 3

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If your nitrate number is real, it would call for the low range Hanna (0-5 ppm)....BUT, it is just a pain to use, you'll end up not using it. Here's a video that talks about it's shortcomings.

The high range is for 0-75 ppm, with a 0.1 ppm accuracy (according to their literature). If you're stuck on Hanna, this is the one I'd recommend.

That said, the wet chemistry kits work just fine....Salifert's nitrate test, three steps and you're done!

momof6kids

NJRC Member
I pulled out my microscope from the attic, note to self, do not place a real microscope in a dark place, where things can fall on top of it. The lens snapped off of the top. Ugh!!

That being said, I think the water changes must have started working. Maybe???? Who knows???? Some of my coral is very slowly starting to reappear. A hammer that had all but disappeared within the skeleton last night was starting to open up. Of course, it was just my basic green hammer. Not my teal, yellow, or orange. I don't think any of the frogspawn will come back either. A rock that had bounce mushrooms and you would swear were no longer there had tiny spots of color. Some of my zoas are opening back up.

That being said, my caps, green, red, and purple, (I know, very technical names), are all brown. Don't think they will come back. My green nepthea leather is really shriveled and black. Don't think that will come back either. Some of the other leathers are questionable.

It was really weird how some corals, my pavona, duncan, and palys, were not affected at all.

eholceker

NJRC Member
I pulled out my microscope from the attic, note to self, do not place a real microscope in a dark place, where things can fall on top of it. The lens snapped off of the top. Ugh!!

That being said, I think the water changes must have started working. Maybe???? Who knows???? Some of my coral is very slowly starting to reappear. A hammer that had all but disappeared within the skeleton last night was starting to open up. Of course, it was just my basic green hammer. Not my teal, yellow, or orange. I don't think any of the frogspawn will come back either. A rock that had bounce mushrooms and you would swear were no longer there had tiny spots of color. Some of my zoas are opening back up.

That being said, my caps, green, red, and purple, (I know, very technical names), are all brown. Don't think they will come back. My green nepthea leather is really shriveled and black. Don't think that will come back either. Some of the other leathers are questionable.

It was really weird how some corals, my pavona, duncan, and palys, were not affected at all.

This is pretty typical of a major rtn event. Either bacterial or something of a toxic nature. The browness in your sps corals are from excess zooxanthellae being produced in an effort for your coral to survive. I know a lot mentioned this previously but you really need to send out an ICP test. Your magnets and electrical equipment can leach zinc, tin, copper, cobalt, or aluminum which can cause the issues you are having. Water changes will help but eventually the problems will occur again.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
I ordered the ATI ICP test from BRS. Paul, I will try the Salifert test kit. I have been using the API test for Nitrate/Nitrite/pH/Ammonia. Really hard to tell the difference between the color yellows.

I used my Hanna tester for the first time tonight, and really got scared. I tested it 3 times. The first time was 46, the second and third were 49. It wasn't until I googled it did I realize that you have to convert the ppb to ppm. So 0.141 to 0.150ppm. Still high but not 46 or 49. ;)

eholceker

NJRC Member
I ordered the ATI ICP test from BRS. Paul, I will try the Salifert test kit. I have been using the API test for Nitrate/Nitrite/pH/Ammonia. Really hard to tell the difference between the color yellows.

I used my Hanna tester for the first time tonight, and really got scared. I tested it 3 times. The first time was 46, the second and third were 49. It wasn't until I googled it did I realize that you have to convert the ppb to ppm. So 0.141 to 0.150ppm. Still high but not 46 or 49. ;)

ATI is tracking about 8 days from when you send out. TAT has improved significantly. I send out tests every 2 weeks so once you get them back post them on here.

radiata

NJRC Member
I'm going to have to pass on Hanna's latest all-in-one tester. I'll wait until it includes their upcoming Magnesium tester capability...

I’ve had monti caps slowly recover from nasty brown to former glory in time....even had to clear algae off them when i noticed the edges beginning to color and realixed they had a chance. I wouldn’t give up on those.
Glad your Duncan is fine but I had one of those die off and go bone white and 1-2 months later come back, and it has grown many new heads since then. Don’t know how.
Zoas that have retreated and closed in the past have reappeared as well and become nice colonies (others have not).

If things are looking up congrats-enjoy some rebirth, hope you’re pleasantly surprised. If not happy to share what I have with you as well....various zoas and mushrooms and some leathers ready for new home....

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Just got my results back from ATI

Here is the link to my tank water results.
//lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/dc463fd36400b723ede2

RODI results
//lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/948c01766172dbcc151c