• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lost a torch this week..

I had a beautiful torch coral that was one of the centerpieces of my system die this week...very sudden and nasty. Tested and found my alk had crept up to 16-could this have caused it?
Immediately lowered the timer on the doser and did a 15-20% water change. I’ll have to keep testing to hone in on the right numbers but everything had been doing so well and I hadn’t changed a thing. The torch itself was thriving until two days ago. No idea what could’ve caused the change so I assume I was just dosing slightly too much and the number snuck up there, but the number had even pretty steady and if anything should have been too low as I’ve added coral without adjusting the dosing So more should have been taken up. Maybe the last batch of alk solution I made was too strong but it shouldn’t have been that far off—I use the same measurements so it shouldn’t have been crazy off.
I‘ve been better about water changes and target feeding since being stuck home. Everything else is doing well, colorful and open and feeding. Damn shame.

It did look like what I’ve seen referred to as brown jelly. Will that spread to other LPS or euphoria?

Or maybe not.....by that time most had died off already. Just one day didn’t fully extend its tentacles, next day 1 head empty and others not fully extended, next day very little visible and what was visible looked brown and gelatInous. Definitely never covered over the coral until the end.
I guess we’ll see about spread. Nothing I can do now except pay attention.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
May want to consider the use of erythromycin. It is found in ChemClean.

"Claude@Fauna Marin
19-01-12, 20:51
We had in germany a big scandal due to this and the product was analyzed by the veterany office of Hannover
and they showed that this product is erythromycine sulfate .. this is a antibiotics whic normaly only a doctor can give up
due to the usage in this case and this ammounts the possibilitly of unwanted resistance is very big"

I’m
I had a beautiful torch coral that was one of the centerpieces of my system die this week...very sudden and nasty. Tested and found my alk had crept up to 16-could this have caused it?
Immediately lowered the timer on the doser and did a 15-20% water change. I’ll have to keep testing to hone in on the right numbers but everything had been doing so well and I hadn’t changed a thing. The torch itself was thriving until two days ago. No idea what could’ve caused the change so I assume I was just dosing slightly too much and the number snuck up there, but the number had even pretty steady and if anything should have been too low as I’ve added coral without adjusting the dosing So more should have been taken up. Maybe the last batch of alk solution I made was too strong but it shouldn’t have been that far off—I use the same measurements so it shouldn’t have been crazy off.
I‘ve been better about water changes and target feeding since being stuck home. Everything else is doing well, colorful and open and feeding. Damn shame.
I’m sorry to hear that buddy that sucks,I know you keep her very clean tank I’ve seen it you’ve got some of the most gorgeous rocks I’ve ever seen I hope you figure out the problem I would hate for you to lose other stuff good luck my brother keep us posted

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Sorry to hear that. I was using a DIY Alk doser, gravity drip. I prepared Randy Holmes Alk formula and would dose 10ml weekly and Alk was 9 or 10. I switched to the drip method and it snuck up, my Alk was over 20. I prepared the same way as usual so either the batch of baking soda was different or my corals / rocks slowed on absorption. Went back to the manual weekly and Alk is 7. Now back to drop DIY and it's at 9. Will keep monitoring.

Good luck.