• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

lots of particles in the water column...?

I noticed in my 75G mix-reefed that I seem to have alot of particles blowing around in my water column. At first I thought they were micro-bubbles, so I turned off all the pumps/powerheads and let the water stand for about 30 min. When I do this I see alot of particles ... some are pods which is great, but most just seem like dust/dirt/sand. I do run a 4in sand-bad in my tank. Was wondering if this is common in other reef tanks, or if I need to add some filter floss to my sump.

I noticed the same thing this morning in my tank, however I did move pumps and added a hydor 3 yesterday so I'm assuming it'll settle back down in a day or two

You could try adding a sponge, filter sock or floss for a day or two to trap some of this assuming it makes it to your overflow.

Carlo

Thx. I'm going to add some filter floss to my return section of the sump to see if it clears things up. I did adjust my return flow, so it seems that change in flow pattern is kicking up stuff. I guess it'll only get worse, since I'm hooking up a SCWD and seaswirl soon, so my pattern should always be changing.

my tank isn't reef ready, so I have dual overflows with a sponge on each which I thought would keep the water clear, but maybe it's not getting to the overflows