• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Low PH in Nano Reef

I have a 15 gallon cube nano reef with mostly softies and a couple LPS and some small nems. I am using IO salt and my alk continues to sit around 7ish and my PH is usually 7.6. Not really room for a skimmer for additional air exchange, any ideas on helping to raise the PH? Should I not be concerned about it?

eholceker

NJRC Member
Any alk supplement will help raise the PH. Unless you have hard corals and are concerned about slower growth PH is a non issue and don't even bother testing it.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I love kalk and I use it in my system. Dosing kalk in that small tank can be a problem. It’s better to use a product like all for reef.

and idea will be kalkwasser but you need to keep and eye on your alk and you can only add as much as your evaporation allows it, another idea will be a glass skimmer I saw one once on a website, is like a tube with a air stone feed by an air pump for some gas exchange, maybe try to open a window when you can and is possible

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
To be honest on a tank that small I wouldn’t worry too much about ph.
The tanks is so small that you will always have ph problems.
That size tank I would keep it at what ever comes naturally and don’t try to hard.

dosing kalk in a system that small is dangerous.
adding a skimmer would help but like you said you don’t have room.
In at tank that size you are only keeping coral alive not really propagating frags.
so I would leave it your anemone don’t care and soft corals get use to any ph.

monitoring ph is best in a bigger tank and when you want the most growth as possible. For a small system like that just enjoy the tank and let it do its thing.
I would dose 2part or “all for reef” and call it a day.

Cool thanks for all the tips guys. Trying to keep this setup as uncomplicated as possible as this is my first saltwater tank.

and idea will be kalkwasser but you need to keep and eye on your alk and you can only add as much as your evaporation allows it, another idea will be a glass skimmer I saw one once on a website, is like a tube with a air stone feed by an air pump for some gas exchange, maybe try to open a window when you can and is possible
I just saw that reef glass skimmer, that thing looks pretty cool. Even if it didn’t produce skimmate, the gas exchange alone would be great. However, seems a little pricy for what it is. May have to DIY something.