• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Low pH is killing me

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
RichT said:
Also, if the CO2 levels are so bad that it causes this problem with the tank, why am I not walking around dizzier then I usually am.

And how do we know...

Dunno, Rich! You'd think something would have had to have changed. Are the kids home less? The dogs going in and out less? Maybe with just you and Dana home for the most part you're using the doors less and the house is more closed up than last year?

Maybe your probe was less accurate last year giving you a false sense of security?

Turned off your attic fan? Clogged air filters? Clogged dryer lines? New windows? New home settling? Do some insallation work? Added more coral, large coral growth, and/or more fish?

I would also suggest that if skimmer you have allows it, can it be fed air from outside? ETSS actually suggest this, and I plan to do it myself. I have heard of people fixing pH problems this way.
Is there any possibility your CO2 tank from the calcium rector is still on and leaking?
What type of water heater do you have, is it gas and could there be a venting issue in the vicinity of the tank? Gas dryer? When my folks oil burner flue got clogged, it was pretty toxic in the basement until it was cleared.
It's sort of alarming when a problem is as stubborn as this; the things you've done so far should have fixed it.

RichT said:
Also, if the CO2 levels are so bad that it causes this problem with the tank, why am I not walking around dizzier then I usually am.

Just lucky I guess.

Mine are (high CO2levels) as well and I am ( dizzier than usual)! ;)

I've noticed my highs and lows have dropped .2 as well for the last few weeks. I attributed it to running much more AC and no open windows as well. Fortunately the corals have been fine. I'm bottoming out at 7.8 or so.

Regarding all the baked baking soda observations; you don't use any more than you need to achieve your target alk levels. I find the Alk boost usually lasts most of the day in my case. I also have ESV kalk in the topoff and I drip 2 minutes on and 13 minutes off around the clock controlled by an ACjr.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Windows closed

08-01-08.jpg

Windows open

08-08-08.jpg

You can see I dosed 2 part before I left for work at 7am

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks much happier with the windows open. Now if you could just convince the wife & kids! ;D

CO2 build up in a house is usually a sysmptom of a problem with an HVAC system. But in your case it could be a combination of factors that are ultimately reducing the air exchanges per day.
1. fewer people coming and going will reduce the amount of air exchanges
2. raising the thermostat temp means the AC will cycle on fewer times per day
3. Make sure your air handler has not had it's air intake reduced (i.e. new walls around it, clogged filters, etc...)

do you know for sure that there is a c02 problem? did you try testing this by taking a bucket of your tank water and take it outside and pump an air stone into it for a bit. if the ph increases, it is a c02 problem.
you know if your alkalinity is real high, a low ph is not a problem. according to holmes-farley

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The house is only 9 years old. I wrapped and sided it myself. I guess I did two good of a job. I did have the AC set at 78 so it probably comes on less then before. I also wrapped and hung the HVAC duct work as well. That too is very tight.

I think the fact the house has been open for 24 hours and the pH is steady climbing, in fact it's held strong at 8.2 for 3 hours now, is proof the CO2 build up is certainly the issue. Now I'll have to figure the best, most economical, least evasive way to keep the CO2 down when I close the house the next time. The plants seem to be both the most economical and least evasive but I would imagine you would need a jungle in your living room to combat the levels I've been experiencing, so it's probably not the most effective. I'm thinking about adding another air pump and stone in the sump. Couldn't hurt would it?

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I also think RHF mentions levels below 7.85, which I've been visiting regularly as of late, are certainly a problem. I belive he talked about the fact that as the pH decreases, it gets harder and harder for the coral to calcify so an over abundent of alk and ca help reduce the effort need to do it's thing. I also remember reading somewhere that there is a very delicate membrane between the skeleton and flesh of the coral that will dissolve very quickly at a higher pH levels then the skeleton.

Sounds like i'm not the only one with the curse. I really think a sump in the basement will solve the issue for Rich :D You know you want to do it

I ran a 1 in. pvc line to the outside and have the air intake to my skimmer connected to it via hose. I added and GAC container to the outside of the line. Just a 2in. pipe with a cap thats drilled. This solved my chronic low Ph. Has been holding steady at 8.2 since.

I may be a little late on this, and it may not be the best solution to your problem as it sounds like you have central AC, but for those with window units, now would be time to pick-up a new unit at HD. The new ones are cheap(right now) and some have a vent on them that allows exterior air to be drawn in thorugh the unit keeping the house cool but allowing exchange of fresh air. It would probably solve most problems for under $200.

For those extended heat spells, this might also be your solution Rich, if you don't mind the noise and the big box in the window.