• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lower dose Chemiclean

I've been fighting some red cyano for a while and did the blackout and increased flow with water changes etc. Didn't really work. I've ordered Chemiclean and will add bubblers and shut down carbon and run skimmer without cup as recommended by research. My question is can I use a lower dose to play it safe, and still get results. My total gallons are 180-220 est. I want to use a 150 gallon dose.

Thank!

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I've been fighting some red cyano for a while and did the blackout and increased flow with water changes etc. Didn't really work. I've ordered Chemiclean and will add bubblers and shut down carbon and run skimmer without cup as recommended by research. My question is can I use a lower dose to play it safe, and still get results. My total gallons are 180-220 est. I want to use a 150 gallon dose.

Thank!
In my experience chemi clean is pretty safe. I have dosed my reef with it a handful of times as well as used it is a dip (very concentrated) for zoas. I personally would go with the full dose following directions as you stated. I will note
That it takes (for me at least) longer than expected to get it out of the system and get the skimmer back under control.

C

charterreefer

I used it quite a few times, always full strength, without any complications. FYI: I have very high tank turnover and don't use air stones...salt spray kills my reflectors.

You can use Chemiclean if you want. It does work as far as getting rid of cyano goes. However, the cyano is not going away on it's own. This tells me that you have some other problems that is causing this. Unless you fix the other problem or problems first, all you do is kill off the cyano and replace it with another problem algae.

You can use Chemiclean if you want. It does work as far as getting rid of cyano goes. However, the cyano is not going away on it's own. This tells me that you have some other problems that is causing this. Unless you fix the other problem or problems first, all you do is kill off the cyano and replace it with another problem algae.
I've already cut down on feedings, increased flow, but need to get the cyano out to see if things are improving. My phosphate is only .04 other pars good.

I've already cut down on feedings, increased flow, but need to get the cyano out to see if things are improving. My phosphate is only .04 other pars good.

Nitrate and phosphate readings can be low and you can still have massive algae issues, because the algae is consuming the nitrate and phosphate and growing. If you have not previously used them, consider using one of the phosphate removing compounds such as GFO.

Nitrate and phosphate readings can be low and you can still have massive algae issues, because the algae is consuming the nitrate and phosphate and growing. If you have not previously used them, consider using one of the phosphate removing compounds such as GFO.
I use GFO, an algae scrubber and cheato...