• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

MACNA best new product?

My take on it was the new double ended wavemaker setup from Rio/Seio/Taam...can't wait until it comes out. I got an interview from the guy at the booth. Basically they are finishing up the magnet mount and it should be available soon.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I was very impressed with the wireless controllers for the Vortech's.

I loved the new wireless drivers for the vortechs (ordered two). Also the colorimeter accesory for the elos biotopus was neet(ordered that too) ;D . It was interesting to see the new line of hobbyist grade equipment from RK2(they normally make just commercial sized stuff) the aforementioned polario wave device was cool...the new bubble king minis were cool.
gosh I am such an equipment junkie ::)

It's hard to pick just one. But I really liked the light rail 3.5. I'm definitely going to use them on my next tank.

The new T5 controller from Royal Exclusive was really sweet. It allows you to control the brightness in 1% increments on each bulb for a true sunrise to sunset effect.

The VorTech controller was really nice too. Especially the fact that you can control as many as 128 at a time. Now that's some flow!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah that light rail really spoke to me too. And the price was really great. Jeff, how would you feel about only 1/3-1/2 of your tank being lit up at a given time? That's the one thing that makes me think I wouldn't want it on my display.

Jcurry@wesketch said:
The new T5 controller from Royal Exclusive was really sweet. It allows you to control the brightness in 1% increments on each bulb for a true sunrise to sunset effect.

That is cool. I wonder how this will affect bulb life? Did they have any mention of that?

Carlo

Phyl said:
Yeah that light rail really spoke to me too. And the price was really great. Jeff, how would you feel about only 1/3-1/2 of your tank being lit up at a given time? That's the one thing that makes me think I wouldn't want it on my display.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing but this is more for the coral farms out there.
If it’s a dreary day with little light what better and cheaper way to supplement them with a halide light that will slowly move down along a 12-20 foot long tub of coral frags.
I saw these somewhere online where the farm puts it over a set of corals ready to be sold a couple of months before they are sold. Being exposed to additional halide lighting helps to color up some corals that would otherwise be brown because of lower lighting levels in the greenhouse.

Sharks good to see you around. Sorry we didn't get to talk @ MACNA. I think your you may be thinking of Dr. Mac. He does his grow out in the greenhouses and then puts them in another set of troughs under 20K MH to color them up.

I like what Lumetek is doing with their ballasts and giving you the option to overdrive or not to overdrive the light bulb, since most ballasts way overdrive MH bulbs. Chris is one of the most impressive people I have run into in many years. He is like a Randy Holmes-Farley when taking about ballasts.

Also, little did many know that Elos is not just a test kit company. You can get just about anything from them or they will build it for you. They are like a new and more modern Hi-tech Dupla only from Italy. When I told them months ago to send their kits to ENC labs for testing and verification they did and within a couple of days of our phone conversation. You should see their catalog. And there is no China stuff coming from them ;) That is a no-no in Nick's mind no matter what.

Booze

Also the colorimeter accesory for the elos biotopus was neet(ordered that too)

You bought that expensive new toy :) Meaning that little flat screen panel for like $2,000 ?

OK, I don't think that is the same one Jessi showed me. The one on the middle self on a small stand, right across from Jessie's chair. The so called 'prototype' not out yet ;)

The only prototypes Jesse brought to MACNA were the colorimeter and the moonlight both are due in December(probably Jan.)
I think what you saw was the biotopusII controller mounted on its optional stand (I didnt get the stand because I am planning on mounting it in-wall)
....wait till I get it all set up, you won't believe all the newbie questions I will be asking you ::)