• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

MACRO PHOTOGRAPHY

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I need some of the photo guru's help... ::cough Steve...cough cough Merv::

We bought a macro lens (Sigma 105mm) and I still can't seem to get those real nice close up shots. I have been using a tripod, but it still doesn't seem to make much difference. Do I still need to put the lens right up to the glass? Or is there some sort of setting that I am missing? The more I read, the more confused I am getting.

Here are a few new shots that I took with the lens.. It's just not what I was expecting...

normal_thing.jpg

I took this one in RAW mode.

normal_brain.jpg

Lyretail-Anthia.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!

the closer to the glass the better...

shoot parallel to the glass - if you are at angle it will distort.

if you want to get more in focus use a smaller aperture - higher f-stop

color correction drives me crazy... but you can shoot in raw mode to have more flexibility

btw... i like your pictures. what were you trying to get them to look like?

finally - how much was the lens? I've been eyeing the Canon 100 Macro - i just haven't purchased it yet.

Eric

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ebqwert said:
shoot parallel to the glass - if you are at angle it will distort.

Sorry if I'm being a stickler, but that would be perpendicular to the glass I think. ;D

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We got the lens and 3 filters (which I havent even begun to think about yet..lol) for about 400.00.

I guess I am comparing them to some of those shot you see on RC. Where you can see every last detail of a polyp if you zoom in on the picture. It seems like when I use a higher f-stop the pictures get dark. I guess I have to keep playing around.. Thanks Eric!

and yes Rich... I think you're right... :D

C

concept3

raw-to-jpg.jpg

taken using 60mm lens, i forget the rest of the settings, but I usually go as close as I can to f2.8 and 125-200 shutter. I usually keep the ISO between 100-200.

I always smack the front lens against my glass so there is no angle whatsover. Eric and Rich are both right..... Camera and les housing perpendicular to the glass which makes the lens'es glass surface parallel to the tank's glass surface. No tripod, no flash.

I did take this in raw and balanced the pic a bit.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well... an hour of playing around and I am worse off than when I started!! :mad:

I think I need to reset my camera and take a step back... It can't be as difficult as I am making it.. I tried those setting Merv.. Maybe it's the difference in cameras (NO CANNON vs. NIKON comments PLEASE! ;) )

All the pictures were coming out dark... I dont get it UGH!

I'll keep at it.. Hopefully I can figure this out sooner then later... because I'm about to throw in the towel!

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Okay...took a breather.. and tried again.. I think I'm getting closer!

normal_RBTA.jpg

openbrain.jpg

normal_octofroggie.jpg

normal_microphalma.jpg

Oh.. and the lens was a bit more expensive than what I originally thought! But we'll just stick with that # that I posted earlier ::)

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think your doing real good.

I especially like this one:

openbrain.jpg

Kinda Christmas-eey :p

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd say you're catching on quite nicely, Brian! I like the photo of the rBTA the best!

Brian Nice shot bro.. Make sure you write down the setting so when I get mine I can just ask you for it... Everything looks really good ... I like all the shots but the best is the RBTA... keep those pictures coming pls....

Stv

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Settings? Settings?!?!

Here are my settings...

Turn that dial, push that button.. no that didn't work.. turn the dial again, push some other button.. Hey! that looks better! LOL!!

Thanks for the compliments!

Nah, your right Brian, throw in the towel. Throw it all the way to Woodbridge so I can pick it up!! ;D

Seriously, I think your shots are great!

C

concept3

practic practice practice, that's all it takes. you'll get the feel for it as you go along. i remeber those days.
i left my camera in the case for almost a month due to frustration, and then a Nikon friend came by and went- dude, you have to use it on manual and do this and this.

BAM! instant gratification

OK, so Merv gave some basic settings to use. Any others? I'll patiently play around until I can afford/justify the macro lens.

Marcelo -

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks Jeff... It may have been only a few hours... but it was like 200 pics! :D

Thank god for digital cameras, I couldn't imagine trying to learn this with a standard film camera!

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Do any of you use lens filters when you are taking shots? I have 2 colored ones.. Yellow and blue I think ( ??? ) but dont quote me on that..

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I was playing around a little bit last night...

Some new macro shots:

Orange Zoos
orangezoos2-2-07.jpg

Purple Cap
PurpleCap-Web.gif

Green SPS
GreenSPS2-2-07.jpg