• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Macroalgae in DT

Hello everyone. I am looking to add a little macro algae in my DT. Something decorative that won’t overrun the tank, or at least that grows slow enough to easily keep under control. It’s only a 45 gallon so no Tangs or Angels to keep it under control, or to wipe it out. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Or any LFS that stock different kinds? I was going to order online, but hate the idea of shipping anything live in the winter, but will if I have to.

If you wanted to know about decorative "sticks" I'd be your guy. Haha. But I dont know much about the macros. Hopefully someone here will have an answer for you. I know there is someone else looking to get some too. Where are you located in Jersey?

It’s too soon for the sticks. Tank is way too young. but it’s so tempting.
I’m in North Bergen. Heading down to ACC tomorrow, or maybe to Fengs if I can catch him open. Maybe I’ll find some if i get to ACC.

+1 on dragons breath and on algae barn, but also check out red sea kelp and dragons tongue on live aquaria. Both look nice to me.

PomPom and Dragon Breath are good macros for the DT or refug. I'd get it from Algae Barn and not from a LFS or someone's fish tank.
I guess you cant dip macro algae. Lol
But do the non clumping (like chaeto and calerpa) ever have pests on/in them? I've never heard of anyone really ever complaining about that..

Good morning. Thank you! Algae Barn was where I was thinking of ordering from if I had to. Which it looks like I will now. I guess if I want to make sure it’s pretty free, that’s the safest bet. Looks like that means I can get an extra frag at the store today since I won’t be buying algae.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
But do the non clumping (like chaeto and calerpa) ever have pests on/in them? I've never heard of anyone really ever complaining about that..

yes it can have! I have seen aiptasia on chaeto at the LFS and reefer’s Refugium

I
yes it can have! I have seen aiptasia on chaeto at the LFS and reefer’s Refugium
I know chaeto can have. And so can calerpa, that's y I said besides those two.. I'm asking more about the leafy decorative types like youd see in a display, the red, blues and other bright leafy types. Genuinely curious.

I have some red graciliaria. Sent PM
I freshwater dip my macro with no problems

Attachments

• 20200212_221839.jpg
    20200212_221839.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0